Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV Redline 2017 Tyre Replacement

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
the RE050 has the odour about it of being the softer compound.
The RE050A is a higher performance tyre than the RE003 but the S001 was Bridgestone's benchmark performance tyre superseded by the S007A. The RE003 is the 3rd tier and cheapest of the Bridgestone performance tyres.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Out of interest, I looked it up ... the RE050 is 140, RE003 is 220 or 240 depending on where you look ... so the RE050 has the odour about it of being the softer compound.

I was meaning the conti's

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I think Conti's work better on lighter cars, not so well on porky Zeta platform Commodores

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I think Conti's work better on lighter cars, not so well on porky Zeta platform Commodores

I personally wouldn't touch a Conti after my experience with them on my GenF 1 R8. It wasn't so much a grip issue, they made the car drive like a pig and tramline all over the place immediately fixed with a set of Bridgestone S001's. I discovered the Conti issue with complaints on the old HSV forum with many recommending to ditch them for a set of Bridgestone's. HSV claimed that Garth Tander chose the Conti's over Bridgestone from testing both tyres at Phillip Island but I reckon the truth beknown, Continental did a better deal than Bridgestone saving HSV money!

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Out of interest, I looked it up ... the RE050 is 140, RE003 is 220 or 240 depending on where you look ... so the RE050 has the odour about it of being the softer compound.
This makes sense.
But I replaced the RE050As on both my cars because they got too old and were getting too hard and brittle - not being worn out, still had around 5 mm depth.
Put on RE003s because of the 4 for 3 deal in 2020. They felt better and grippier straight away, although I noticed more noise/vibration.
Hard to compare grip since the old tyres were from 2014.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
they are also rebadged indy firehawks
Bridgestone bought out Firestone about 30 years ago and I guess is the reason Firestone tyres feature in Bridgestone Australia's product list. They're the cheap end of Bridgestone products here and interestingly the Firestone Indy Firehawk 500 that looks like an RE003, is a popular tyre used in the USA for sprints and motorsport events where R specs aren't permitted. I don't know if the RE003 and Indy 500 compounds are the same.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Has anyone tried the new to australia potenza sport?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Pirelli seem to have made P-Zero an entire range these days ... but generally they don't seem to do as well as a lot of tyres at their price-point.
You probably can't buy a bad Pirelli P-Zero, but you'll probably get better for the money elsewhere.

I like P Zeros and have them on a couple of cars and have been buying them for about 15 years or more.

I also have PS4s and the older Contact P5 fitted to cars.

It goes against what most people are saying but I love the way the Pirelli bites hard when pushed through a bend and I believe they perform as well if not better than the Michelin.

I have a lot of confidence in them which equals peace of mind.

I used to be a fan of the S001 and have tried a lot of Bridgestone’s over the years as they were often standard fitment to Commodores and find them a bit wanting in the wet as I do with the Contact P5.

I do think Bridgestone does a very good runflat if you’re in the market for them.

P Zeros and PS4s are my favourites with Continental and Bridgestone a bit off the pace.

But what I have found is if you buy the ‘flavour of the month’ you’ll usually end up with a top tyre but that doesn’t necessary mean it’s the best for your situation.

I’m too old to push tyres hard these days and I always drive to the conditions when wet and don’t have a car load of kids to worry about, so any of the higher end tyres will do a good enough job for me.

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I had one set of T/A's on my HQ Monaro and went back to Bridgestone Steel Belted 60's when white lettering tyres were the go! I had a chrome diff hat and triple tail light bumper and a Holley Equipped sticker on the back window despite running a Rochester I swear to this day worked best on a 308 and that was yesterday's version of "fully sick" 40 years ago! Faker L34 and A9X Torana's were the toughest but I couldn't afford one then.

Here's my favourite wheel in the day panhead, 14 x 8 Magnum Eliminators, killer dish and polished up like chrome with Duraglit!

View attachment 234338

I used to run the Bridgestone Steel Belted 60's as well.

I can still remember the argument I had with the local Beaurepaires dealer when they fitted them to my HX Ute with the white lettering showing on the outside when I'd specifically asked them to have the lettering on the inside so my mates would put sh*t on me for being a wannabe.

I remember the Magnum Eliminators, there were a few fellows in town who ran them.

I had the Aunger Jelly Beans until I switch to the deeper dish US Racing Mags Indy.

Back then I also had a set of Ansen Sprints and ROH Wildfires.

Rims - Aunger Jelly Beans a.jpg

Rims - US Racing Mags indy-u101_polished_vintage_1_piece_cast.jpg

Rims - Ansen a.jpg

Rims - ROH a.jpg