Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV Redline 2017 Tyre Replacement

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I used to run the Bridgestone Steel Belted 60's as well.

I can still remember the argument I had with the local Beaurepaires dealer when they fitted them to my HX Ute with the white lettering showing on the outside when I'd specifically asked them to have the lettering on the inside so my mates would put sh*t on me for being a wannabe.

I remember the Magnum Eliminators, there were a few fellows in town who ran them.

I had the Aunger Jelly Beans until I switch to the deeper dish US Racing Mags Indy.

Back then I also had a set of Ansen Sprints and ROH Wildfires.

View attachment 234543

View attachment 234544

View attachment 234546

View attachment 234545

The good old days of mags and fats.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I had the Aunger Jelly Beans until I switch to the deeper dish US Racing Mags Indy.
Back then I also had a set of Ansen Sprints and ROH Wildfires.

Raised on dishy polished wheels is hard to get out of your system and I think it's reason I can't do black wheels today. I bought a VR GTS just before Xmas '94 and the flatness and darker grey colour of the GTS wheels didn't work for me. I ended up with a set of VR Clubsport wheels that had more dish and sent them to a bloke in Sydney to polish them.

I remember the day a mate of mine came around with a new set of ROH Wildfires on his HJ Sandman van and we were contemplating whether they looked better than the Jelly Bean style or not.

P Zeros and PS4s are my favourites
I was going to try a set of PS4s on my ute but they were nil stock on 295/30 x 20's. There were 2 only S007A's in QLD and went Bridgestone again for availability.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
The good old days of mags and fats.
The Radial T/As on 14 inch wheels I remeber were quite a big deal.
Mate had 13 inch radial T/As on his LJ Torana, with the lettering on the outside.
He admitted once that it had no wet traction, even with the 2850 motor. The tyres lasted forever though.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
This makes sense.
But I replaced the RE050As on both my cars because they got too old and were getting too hard and brittle - not being worn out, still had around 5 mm depth.
Put on RE003s because of the 4 for 3 deal in 2020. They felt better and grippier straight away, although I noticed more noise/vibration.
Hard to compare grip since the old tyres were from 2014.
I drove a return trip Sydney/Canberra today on my 1.5 year old RE003s. So replied to my own post.
It rained like the proverbial - water f**king everywhere the whole trip, 3 cars had left the road, an assortment of broken down buses and a landslide blocked one lane. Added to a massive detour along the M2/M7 since some kind soul crashed a stolen Kluger at high speed on the Harbour Bridge.
But not many other crazies on the Hume Motorway, surprisingly.
I was impressed by the road holding I had - even places where there was standing water - no loss of road contact.
Given these are Bridgestone's "budget performance" tyres, I am still very pleased with their performance for $608 for a set of 4 for my SV6 in 2020. The SV6 is hardly a high powered or flat handling car, so they suit it well.
The windscreen wipers have covered a few square miles though. Time for new ones.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Given these are Bridgestone's "budget performance" tyres, I am still very pleased with their performance

My daily driver is an SV6 ute with a set of RE003's and I totally agree, they're excellent in the wet, good in the dry and great value for money!

20220307_222335.jpg