Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Standard filter vs pod filter

ashtonwright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
Is an oiled pod a good idea!? A mates given me one but I'm having second thoughts after reading reviews.

Is it worth it do you think? Any negatives? Or outright positives?

Any options would be great to hear.

Thanks!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Is it worth it do you think? Any negatives? Or outright positives?

Much of a muchness, won't make a real difference to anything except you don't have a filter to replace every service. It also has to be shielded.

Me personally, I wouldn't go to the trouble, panel filter does the job just fine. Bit of a wank mod really unless you can't run an airbox for some reason.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
I'd be a bit cautious of the oiled filters putting shot on the maf or any other sensors, nothing wrong with std filter and no measurable gains to be had anyway so don't risk it

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
I've had an oiled panel filter for 10 years from K&N, checked the MAF sensor after many years and it didn't have oil residue, they are worth having, just be sure it hasn't been overfilled with oil and if cleaning and wicking yourself, use oil sparingly and check it with a light to see all areas have been coloured by oil, then you should never have oil leaving the filter.

Potential Benefits:

Clean every 60k under normal conditions
No air restriction
Cleans air better
Cheaper than replacing paper ones
No risk of tearing
Improves sound
Better fuel economy
Pays for itself over time

As for pod filter, I'd agree it's not worth the modifications to run it legally over a direct fit panel version, only benefit over panel version may be better sound/growl and more airflow.

ashtonwright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
Thanks for he replies guys, I have bought a mount for the vt didn't fit properly. Might need some silicone pipe. Still like the idea! And the comments kais3r mentioned seem to be decent.

I'll go to autobarn nxt weekend and see if i can get money back/pipe depending on my mood .

Thanks guys!

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
I run the MACE CAI and love it. Sounds better, lowered fuel use marginally and because it's secured it's legal. I put an oiled K&N filter in 6 months ago and recently pulled the maf out to clean it and there wasn't much on it.

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
I've had an oiled panel filter for 10 years from K&N, checked the MAF sensor after many years and it didn't have oil residue, they are worth having, just be sure it hasn't been overfilled with oil and if cleaning and wicking yourself, use oil sparingly and check it with a light to see all areas have been coloured by oil, then you should never have oil leaving the filter.

Potential Benefits:

Clean every 60k under normal conditions
No air restriction
Cleans air better
Cheaper than replacing paper ones
No risk of tearing
Improves sound
Better fuel economy
Pays for itself over time

As for pod filter, I'd agree it's not worth the modifications to run it legally over a direct fit panel version, only benefit over panel version may be better sound/growl and more airflow.

Correct they don't need cleaning very often under normal conditions (as K&N say on their website), people often overdo it, they actually clean the air better with a bit of dirt on them. Paper cleans the air better though, and no worries about over or under oiling.

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

Never used one , but heard from ex holden mechanic who said often cars up to say 3 years old and they have K&N air filters and the red oil and junk is on the map sensor.

Free flowing air filter probably works best on olde carby cars that had the air filter there for years ( like 5 to 10 ) no one really changed them unless they were black

regards
george

ashtonwright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
Thanks for the replies guys.

All very good points.

Question for you... Do you see any issues if I just install an adapter and have the pod sitting open in the bay? Prob still try to keep the cold air snorkel attached.

Would that still be ok?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You will still be sucking in a lot of hot air.