Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starter motor/ ignition barrel/ who the hell knows!!

Ezzdee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz acclaim 2004
Hey guys....
I'm new here and one hell of a warrior woman but when it comes to cars I have no idea and I'm worried about being taken for a ride by my mechanic as we are both well aware.....I have no idea about cars!!

I have an 04 acclaim...was my mother's before me, always serviced looked after etc. I realise it's now 14 years old and it's getting on but the problems I have had with it in the last 12 months are getting beyong a joke...wondering if I should just cut my losses and walk away.

My current issue involves what the RACV advised was my starter motor on the way out...my car just won't start sometimes..yes 1 click nothing...however until the RACV diagnosed this problem I thought my battery was on the blink....Cause it would start again if jump started, got new battery same problem.

Booked in to have starter motor replaced next week and now all of a sudden everytime i turn the car off the steering lock comes on....it can take 2 to 20 mins to start it....turning the key numerous times.

My issue is I called my mechanic and explained the new issue and They said I need the starter motor and the ignition barrel replaced $$$$$

Please help!!! Is this legit....is it one or the other or is it really both...how did one happen after the other

My apologies I'm so clueless...and I guess I need to weigh up do i pay to get it all fixed or just pull the plug?

Thank you

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Sounding like ignition barrell but could also be remote, which gave me trouble a while back, and could also be column switch.
I thought mine was a starter problem so bought a new starter, which is still sitting on the shelf in the garage.
I am having similar problem at the moment but not as bad as your's.
Try turning the key to ignition with some force, that is don't just turn it until it clicks, turn it as if you want to turn it through to the engine bay.
Works on mine.
If this works then it could point to adjustment of column switch, if they can be adjusted ??

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Could be both issues causing what seems similar problems. Replacing the starter is pretty straight forward, and replacing the actual ignition switch at the bottom of the barrel is very simple. Even if you do both, you should only be up for a few hundred. First though, go and remove your battery terminals, and clean them as well as the battery posts, and make sure they are done up tight. Your tip about it starting with a jump, might be a symptom of just loose battery terminals.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hey guys....

Booked in to have starter motor replaced next week and now all of a sudden everytime i turn the car off the steering lock comes on....it can take 2 to 20 mins to start it....turning the key numerous times.

If you mean the key has to be removed then inserted, I read on here that is a barrel problem.
Mine does the same. Get round to fixing it one day.

Last edited:

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Lets try again.

If you men the key has to be removed then inserted again, I read on here that is a barrel proble.
Mine does the same. Must get around to fixing it one day.