Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting fault

Colby5.7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
as @Lex suggested have you confirmed mode light is behaving
I think the mode light is operating normally. As stated. It flashes on lock. Unlock light stops and then begins to flash after approx 30 seconds.

Colby5.7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
whack a test light or multimeter on positive to injectors and see if it is dropping positive or ecu switched grounds
were plugs firing consistently or did you stop after the first spark or two
Tested spark for some time. To be honest I feel it was playing the game. I will try as you have suggested, however this morning with the Launch connected. It showed constant power to injectors. Been a fun day. Greatly appreciate all the help. Generally I can nut this stuff out but this one has me stumped a bit at this point.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
on the ecotec the dfi controls spark until engine starts
can your scan tool check 18x and 32x cam/crank signals at ecu

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The scan tool may say those things, however always verify at the injector or relative sensor.

The VATS might be off but have you checked each module is VIN matched regardless? There is no place for speculated guesses. Get some data to prove yes or no as you move through.

If the engine was swapped, it could be that it was swapped with a bad engine or introduced more bad modules or sensors not in the mix than before.

You could well be at a point where everything is removed and tested independently. Harness continuity is tested pin by pin. Modules reflashed. Key etc, all in succession.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
on the ecotec the dfi controls spark until engine starts
can your scan tool check 18x and 32x cam/crank signals at ecu
I thought it was the pcm that controled the spark, then once the engine is running it hands it over to the dfi?

I'm probably wrong?
Was goning to look it up in the workshop manual, but l've been sick for the past week, & to much effort.

What l can do is give a link to the workshop manual. It's a large file 2.69 GB?
Works well with adobe reader 9 & windows 10.

MHARD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina II V6 VS Berlina V6
Furthervto this. Plugged Noid light in to injector plug.. Same thing flashes once on initial crank then very intermitantly otherwise one flash on each key reset.
Did you
Tested spark for some time. To be honest I feel it was playing the game. I will try as you have suggested, however this morning with the Launch connected. It showed constant power to injectors. Been a fun day. Greatly appreciate all the help. Generally I can nut this stuff out but this one has me stumped a bit at this point.
Cowboys and Cars are a bad mix, Swap out motor why? playing with ECU bad idea as they are model specific , could be intermittent fault with fuel pump as it seems spark sounds good or bad poor connections when he changed motor. maybe easier to buy another car and sell this car to Cowboy or put a bounty on his head, Wanted Dead or Alive.......

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Ok. I just ran a test I have another fuel rail. Plugged all that in and then got the misso to crank it. Injectors sprayed once and then stopped, reset ignition and same again. Seems injector pulse is not working correctly, any suggestions?

This is correct. The PCM primes the cylinders once before cranking. Then it needs a signal pulse from the DFI module before it fires the injectors again when the engine is cranking.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I thought it was the pcm that controled the spark, then once the engine is running it hands it over to the dfi?

I'm probably wrong?
Was goning to look it up in the workshop manual, but l've been sick for the past week, & to much effort.

Correct but the exact opposite.

The DFI handles the ignition whilst cranking until the engine reaches 400rpm and then the PCM takes over (assuming it's getting a timing pulse from the DFI module).

What l can do is give a link to the workshop manual. It's a large file 2.69 GB?
Works well with adobe reader 9 & windows 10.

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
This is correct. The PCM primes the cylinders once before cranking. Then it needs a signal pulse from the DFI module before it fires the injectors again when the engine is cranking.
He says he has disabled vats with his scanner? I think that can be only the bcm side of things? So the pcm won't allow the start because no signal from the bcm to allow the start?