Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steel or fibreglass bonnet??!!

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
looks wise, they are pretty cool but i don't agree with this quote because EVERY car these days has a fiberglass front bar, rear bar and most have side skirts, i don't see any bumps.

Fair enough if they can, but i still haven't seen a clean line or straight fibre glass moulded bar, bonnet, guard or skirt yet!
FACTORY OR NOT!

Mookie01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore executive series 2
umm... they are illegal.....
They are legal fiberglass bonnets you need to go and read the australian design rules ADR and the legislation around a bonnet, bonnets are not structural they are a thin door and have no purpose in an accident to prevent anything happening be it fiberglass or steel, fiberglass bonnets are 100 % legal and have always been legal, and it does not matter how it was made either, i would like to see people make clear see through bonnets as long as a plastic used can be made to shatter on impact it would be safe, bonnets are not structural and never have been

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
They are legal fiberglass bonnets you need to go and read the australian design rules ADR and the legislation around a bonnet

Can you post up a link to the relevant ADR, I would be very keen to read it as I'm considering a vented Monaro bonnet for my 1 Tonner

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
wow this thread, my head plenty of peeps talking out their arses.

fibreglass is fine if it is adr approved.

example of company that sells adr approved bonnets...

http://www.blitsbodykits.com.au/

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I’ve read a bit about the legality, or not, of fibreglass bonnets on forums, ( therefore I am an expert ) but then logic made me wonder if fibreglass or carbon fibre is illegal, how come Corvette, Ferrari, Lambo, and other exotics are legal ?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I’ve read a bit about the legality, or not, of fibreglass bonnets on forums, ( therefore I am an expert ) but then logic made me wonder if fibreglass or carbon fibre is illegal, how come Corvette, Ferrari, Lambo, and other exotics are legal ?

easy just like the company above making adr approved kits and bonnets the cars are compliant.

this isn't rocket science.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
fibreglass is fine if it is adr approved.
example of company that sells adr approved bonnets...
http://www.blitsbodykits.com.au/

Thanks mpower
I knew about the Blits Body Kits bonnets and them being ADR approved
The only other manufacture that I know of is http://www.savage-fibreglass.com/ But their bonnets aren't ADR approved

I was hoping that Mookie01 could post a direct link to the relevant ADR because I looked a while ago and didn't have any luck

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
So I just found this:
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents...ndards/vsi-06-light-vehicle-modifications.pdf

Specifically ITEM 22......BODY and CHASSIS
MODIFICATION

Fitting of fibreglass body panels where the original panels were welded on or where structural integrity is affected.

Examples requiring certification:

• Fitting fibreglass body panels where the original panels were welded on.
• Fitting fibreglass body panels causing any change to the structure or the body of the vehicle.

Example not requiring certification:

• Replacing original bolt-on mudguards, bonnet, or boot lid with identical fibreglass panels.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Fibreglass panel gaps aren't the best & seen some bonnets bow out of shape if owner retains gas struts.

Depends if you want weight saving more or just looks.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Fibreglass panel gaps aren't the best & seen some bonnets bow out of shape if owner retains gas struts. Depends if you want weight saving more or just looks.

Any specific manufacturers or just fibreglass bonnets in general, just curious to know as I want to eventually put one on my 1 Tonner

Savage Fibreglass have some good positive feedback about their bonnets on their website. And their products are covered by a 36 month warranty against rippling, cracking or any form of distortion.
Haven't found any feedback on the Blits Bodykits bonnets except for what's on their Facebook page

I'm not concerned with any weight reduction, but the extra bit of airflow into the engine bay would be welcome.
It's really about the look for me......I've always loved the look of the Monaro bonnet