Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel removal etc

Jaffa

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS V6 Executive
I own a 1995 VS V6 Executive and I want to customise and personalise it. I am currently having trouble with the steering wheel and have a few questions concerning this.

1. How do you remove the steering wheel?
2. What is the bolt pattern of the factory steering wheel?

The steering wheel I want to get is a Mountney sport range steering wheel which has a 6 x 70mm bolt pattern.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Not sure bout bolt pattern but make sure that if your car has a air bag that the new steering has one to otherwise it will be considered un-roadworthy

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Steering wheel should be removed with a puller. Don't be tempted to hit the shaft with a hammer.

No bolt pattern as such.

Just a tapered spline on top of the steering shaft, from there the wheel is one piece.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS

Jaffa

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS V6 Executive
Anyone know where I can find a boss kit for my car? haha this is driving me mental

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
well then be prepared for the cannary you will get for removing a vital safety feature. if you replace your airbad steering wheel for a non-airbag steering wheel then its instant defect.

Dainus

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS-II
Def get a steering wheel puller from Supercheap etc. My horn stopped working and I had to re-solder the wire behind the steering wheel. Best $15 i spent!!

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
If a steering wheel airbag is standard accross the range in VS Commodores then your gonna probably be stuck with having to keep the airbag. There is no specific ADR requiring an airbag, airbags are how car makers meet the relevant ADR for ocupant protection. Should an airbag be optional in a VS then you will be legal if you comply with the ADR for a collapsible steering column which may mean going to a wrecker and getting a steering column and any other parts from a non airbag VS that are differnet in order to meet this ADR. The ADR for a colapsable steering column does not apply if an airbag is fitted as I understand.
A question came up on this forum a while back regarding the requirement to retain airbags and this was basically the answer.
For example a VX Commodore only has 1 airbag in the steering wheel standard accross the range so you can remove the passengers front one if you wanted to where as a VY has both front ones standard accross the range so you can't.
Also for example I know VR's don't have a drivers airbag standard accross the range so if you had a VR Acclaim and the airbag was missing, it would be OK to fit a non airbag steering wheel if the column was collapsible but if it wasn't you'd need to get one out of a VR Exec and fit it so the car complied with the relevant ADR for a collapsible column.

Last edited:

g8nGsTaRr

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 V8 Statesman mild work
dont change a steering wheel with a airbag to a sports wheel wit no airbag as your car may be a defect after that.