Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

steering wheel wobbles when braking

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
last week i had 4 new tyres fitted, and a front and rear alignment.
and well the cars drive for lack of a better word....perfect

ive just noticed that when braking the steering wheel gets a little wobble.

im thinking it could be brake pads/rotors, but anything else it could be?

the car only has 30thou kms, and is still under factory warranty

VT Berlina 07

15.37 @ 147 KPH
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 EF2 Futura I6 Auto
hey, if it only happens when braking your discs's are warped. if its only the wheel shaking the front are warped, if the whole car shakes, it the rear:thumbsup:

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
get your disc machined or replaced and it will fix it. and i very much doubt holden will cover it under warrenty with that amount of k's

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
well ive fitted new pads did minimise the vibrations, but still vibrates under heavy braking..

i would definately recomend Bendix Ultimate police spec brake pads.
the stopping power is so much better than standard or replacement pads.

Bendix part#: DB1344
Sep 97 - Aug 06 Commodore VT, VY, VX, VZ

whats the difference between the pads:
top in picture is police spec,bottom is standard

they do cost a bit more ie: $176 (instead of $70 for DB1331 - Bendix CT)
but well worth it..

Last edited:

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Compare the surface area of the pads, the bendix covers heaps more area then the standard pad. I’ve been hearing on the radio about a bendix pad that has a titanium strip, know anything about them?

As for your steering wobble, as stated the disks are warped, although I wouldn’t waste the money on machining them, as it’s only a quick fix. The metal inside the disk itself is warped from the heat so machining them is only hiding it. Only a matter of time before it resurfaces again, even if you take it easy. Common problem with all cars.

Oh btw, I’d do it quickly. The uneven breaking from the warped disks might shorten the life of your pads.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
those bendix police spec pads are pure gold for a direct replacement. but one thing you will notice is that they last no where near as long as standard pads. and you will be cleaning yours wheels alot more. clean them on sunday you will notice brake dust on them by wednesday

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
I always found the genuine pads the best, especially for brake dust.

The Titanium strip did nothing IMHO, I still copped brake dust from the bendixs.

I then had slotted rotors put on, yeh fair enough, their designed to frind away at the pad thus cause more dust. Whacked the genuine pads in tho and no where near the same amount of dust.

Keep in mind its the compound that causes the extra brake dust on the police pads, thus why cop cars always have heay build up on the front wheels. The genuine pads are designed to work fairly good across most temperature ranges, but start to fade at high temps like constant heavy braking, whereas the police pads work well too but their designed not to glaze over/fade at high temps, say during a pursuit or while rushing to donut king before the end of a shift :whistling. which means they need to use a different compound.

If you can live with the brake dust and wash the rims on a regular basis their gold :thumbsup:

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
well had the discs machined tuesday and problem gone, the dude from brakes plus said its a common problem with falcons and commodores around the same km mark, because of the pad compound. The hard brake pad compound means the disc suffers but the pads last a long time

2 discs machined 40 bucks so cant complain

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Be prepared to do it again in 3 months. Factory discs are shockers for warping.