Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sth Aust drivers (P platers under 25) to be banned from driving high powered cars

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Young SA drivers banned from high-powered cars
Updated July 2, 2010 08:08:00

Totalwreck.jpg

Young drivers to be banned from high-powered cars due to accident risk

Map: Adelaide 5000 A list of high-powered cars to be banned for P-plate drivers under 25 has been released by the South Australian Government.

The ban from September includes any petrol car that is turbo-charged or super-charged or has an engine with eight or more cylinders.

Among the banned cars are some BMWs and Nissans, the Honda NSX, Mercedes Benz SLK-350 and any Porsche made after 1994.

SA Road Safety Minister, Jack Snelling, says high-powered cars are often involved in fatal crashes.

"Too many young people are killing themselves on the roads and that often happens when an inexperienced driver is driving a car that they just don't have the necessary experience to control, particularly in dangerous circumstances," he said.

Mr Snelling says it will be possible to seek an exemption from the law.

"If you already own one of these cars and don't have another car available, or one of these cars happens to be the family car and no other car is available or if you need to drive one of these cars for work, you're able to make an application to the Registrar of Motor Vehicles for an exemption in those sort of special circumstances," he said.

Young SA drivers banned from high-powered cars - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Yet another blanket law trying to solve something...It's like trying to kill a bear with a twig....ineffective

LUMPY 8

buddaboy1990
Reaction score
SAs biggest retirement village (victor harbor)
Members Ride
Vu r8 maloo, mq patrol beach bus
What the hell? they cant change it again can they? like when I got my Ps there were no restrictions what so ever (eg turbo/supercharged/v8s and sh#t) and im getting my full license in mid October does that mean i cant drive my v8 for a month? like i know i can drive it 2 work because thats what the article says but what about going around 2 friends houses or to lawn bowls or the cruise 4 charity?
hope this made sense to other people because it does to me lol

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
The way I understand these laws is that it only affects those who get their license after these laws are passed. I.e. In July 2007 Victorian P Platers were no longer allowed to drive V8's...before July 2007, we had the power to weight ratio laws, which meant some V8's could be driven, laws only affected those who got their license after July 2007..

Don't quote me on that but thats how I would anticipate these laws would work...

swiftymcfeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
87 VL Calais Turbo
Hopefully i get my turbo engine before these laws come into ACT :(

Does not matter whether u have it before the laws or not. Once the law is there, its there.... Meaning remove your turbo or lose your license...

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Does not matter whether u have it before the laws or not. Once the law is there, its there.... Meaning remove your turbo or lose your license...

That's crap! If you buy a car you're legally allowed to drive today, and the law is changed such that makes it illegal for you to drive it in 6 months time, the government will have to compensate you for any loss incurred by selling the car, or let you continue to drive it.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
These sort of laws are completely ridiculous though. The same in-experienced driver can kill themselves and others as easily in a Hyundai Excel as they can in HSV. Arguably easier due to the lower safety of such small cars. The problem is DRIVER EDUCATION and ATTITUDES of young drivers, not the cars.

When are governments going to wake up and realise that?

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Among the banned cars are some BMWs and Nissans, the Honda NSX, Mercedes Benz SLK-350 and any Porsche made after 1994.

Yeah, because all those P platers in Beemers, NSX's, Mercs and Porsches are such a menace on our road, aren't they? :rofl: