Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sth Aust drivers (P platers under 25) to be banned from driving high powered cars

Chilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commy
These sort of laws are completely ridiculous though. The same in-experienced driver can kill themselves and others as easily in a Hyundai Excel as they can in HSV. Arguably easier due to the lower safety of such small cars. The problem is DRIVER EDUCATION and ATTITUDES of young drivers, not the cars.

When are governments going to wake up and realise that?

Exactly it's not like som D***head isn't going to die because they're only driving a stock 6...completely ridiculous, people will still drive just as fast anyway it's the people who need to change rather than the cars. Maybe if the government introduced compulsory defensive driving courses or that rewards system they were talking about that would be a far better approach IMO.

Archers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V 6ltr
my wife bought our ve calais 6ltr and she is only 23 and isnt 25 for 16 months so what happens with that? she hasent been on her Ps for 2 yrs now is she still able to drive?

Chilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commy
Yes, because she's not on her P's. My understanding is if you are on your P's AND under 25. I think if you're 25 and you have P's you're exempt, don't quote me on this though, anyone else know?

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
That's crap! If you buy a car you're legally allowed to drive today, and the law is changed such that makes it illegal for you to drive it in 6 months time, the government will have to compensate you for any loss incurred by selling the car, or let you continue to drive it.

"If you already own one of these cars and don't have another car available"

I think thats covered in the article

Archers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V 6ltr
"If you already own one of these cars and don't have another car available"

I think thats covered in the article

np m8 just worred for a min there lol

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
In 2days paper it said it only effects people who get their P's after it's introduced. So current p platers don't need to worry.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Yeah, same thing that happened in vic years ago. I was on my P's with a turbo car, then they brought in the "no turbo car P plater law" but it didn't matter coz I had my P's before the law came in. My brother was getting his P's around then and all of a sudden everyone wanted to get in before the laws changed which meant a 3 month waiting list. Don't be surprised if that happens in SA too.

As far as more powerful cars being more dangerous. It is only true if you drive them faster. You see, all cars these days have a pedal on the right under the steering wheel that can be modulated to provide more power, or less power.

I personally drive cars with more power slower most of the time then a car with less power. Case in point, I "hoon around" (for lact of a better word) in a 1.6L nissan pulsar around town, whereas I jump in the Berlina and just cruise.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Does not matter whether u have it before the laws or not. Once the law is there, its there.... Meaning remove your turbo or lose your license...

This is incorrect. The way it works here, NSW and from what Ive heard SA the ban will apply to people who got their license after a certain date. Anyone who had their license prior to that will be on the old laws.

I for one am looking forward to the influx of people asking "Can I drive this" and questions about the new laws like we did when the laws came into effect in NSW and Victoria. "SEARCH FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
welcome to NSW 3 years ago.

ah cool so if our government had actually researched this they can show us how p plater deaths dramatically decreased over the last 3 years?

That there arent hoons anymore there on p plates? and that your full licensed dirvers are much better because of this?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Its clearly says in the article the laws come into effect in September (27th i think). Anyone who gets their P's AFTER this time, is restricted to driving those cars, if they are under 25. Once your off P's, or older than 25, you can drive whatever.