Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sth Aust drivers (P platers under 25) to be banned from driving high powered cars

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
What is truely ironic about this thread is back in the day when i got my license all i gould afford is a 70 HP Torana and all these young guns complain about having newer cars such as VS V6 commodores that have way more power than most of us with full licenses could afford back in the day.

" inset sarcasm " Bunch of sooks in this thread if you ask me. :)

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
I say bring the rule in. Its a step in the right direction. A lot of these cars on the banned list do bring out the 'go fast' mentality in a lot of kids. Sure some on the list leave me scratching my head as to why they are on there but I'm guessing the list will be amended over time.

Also the argument that this will stop people having experience in faster cars and make them less safe drivers at 25 is absolute crap, with experience driving any car comes a better understanding of the road and the other users around you. Driving a stupidly powerful car at 16 when you have no driving experience is much more dangerous.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I say bring the rule in. Its a step in the right direction. A lot of these cars on the banned list do bring out the 'go fast' mentality in a lot of kids. Sure some on the list leave me scratching my head as to why they are on there but I'm guessing the list will be amended over time.

Also the argument that this will stop people having experience in faster cars and make them less safe drivers at 25 is absolute crap, with experience driving any car comes a better understanding of the road and the other users around you. Driving a stupidly powerful car at 16 when you have no driving experience is much more dangerous.

So wouldn't the smarter thing be to give the kids the training before they are allowed loose on the roads? (ie driver training)

Keeping in mind my earlier post, tell someone they cant have something, they'll want it more!

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
So wouldn't the smarter thing be to give the kids the training before they are allowed loose on the roads? (ie driver training)

Keeping in mind my earlier post, tell someone they cant have something, they'll want it more!

Yea sure training would be great too, but at the end of the day every little bit helps.

If they want it that badly, there's other ways of satisfying their desire to drive fast. Maybe one of those track days at Mallala where you pay $300 to drive a few laps in a Monaro track car? Besides its not that big a deal to wait till after you're off your P's... its only 2 years or so. I put off buying a powerful car when I was younger on my parent's advice, looking back on it now I'm glad I did. I definitely wanted one more just because I couldn't have one.. over the years my priorities have changed however and I no longer really want one.

The kind of people this law will slow down (excuse the pun) are people like one of my relatives, about 20 years old and 'drifts' around the hills in his turbo 200sx. I definitely think he feels more 'inspired' to be stupid when he's driving that car. I'm counting the days till he writes it off.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Yea sure training would be great too, but at the end of the day every little bit helps.

If they want it that badly, there's other ways of satisfying their desire to drive fast. Maybe one of those track days at Mallala where you pay $300 to drive a few laps in a Monaro track car? Besides its not that big a deal to wait till after you're off your P's... its only 2 years or so. I put off buying a powerful car when I was younger on my parent's advice, looking back on it now I'm glad I did. I definitely wanted one more just because I couldn't have one.. over the years my priorities have changed however and I no longer really want one.

The kind of people this law will slow down (excuse the pun) are people like one of my relatives, about 20 years old and 'drifts' around the hills in his turbo 200sx. I definitely think he feels more 'inspired' to be stupid when he's driving that car. I'm counting the days till he writes it off.

Me personal experience is the opposite. Bought my V8 the day i turned 18 and THAT was the best decision i ever made. It wasn't the fact that i wanted a V8, it was the fact i got whatever car i wanted, be it a V8 or a twin turbo V10, i wasn't restricted, and current p platers shouldn't be either.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Me personal experience is the opposite. Bought my V8 the day i turned 18 and THAT was the best decision i ever made. It wasn't the fact that i wanted a V8, it was the fact i got whatever car i wanted, be it a V8 or a twin turbo V10, i wasn't restricted, and current p platers shouldn't be either.

That's a good point, and you're still driving it now shows you're one of the few that isn't an idiot driver. But for every person like you theres probably 10 more who are absolute idiots driving these cars putting everyone else at risk. I remember the first and only cruise I went on about 5 or 6 years ago (I'm pretty sure you organised it actually!) I saw morons trying to drag race eathother, driving stupidly fast etc all with p plates in their windows. These are the people who should be restricted.

I also agree with you that it unfairly impacts the people who are sensible with their cars, but I think the blame should lie with the idiots on the road endangering you, your friends and your family, not on the people who imposed the law.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
That's a good point, and you're still driving it now shows you're one of the few that isn't an idiot driver. But for every person like you theres probably 10 more who are absolute idiots driving these cars putting everyone else at risk.

I'd argue that it's actually the opposite of this. For every 10 people with common sense and a decent level of responsibility, there is 1 IDIOT who ruins it for the rest. If it was as you say, 10 more who are absoltute idiots (regardless of the sort of car as it has NOTHING do do with the problem), then we would see a lot more carnage on the road.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
I'd argue that it's actually the opposite of this. For every 10 people with common sense and a decent level of responsibility, there is 1 IDIOT who ruins it for the rest. If it was as you say, 10 more who are absoltute idiots (regardless of the sort of car as it has NOTHING do do with the problem), then we would see a lot more carnage on the road.

The reason I said 10 more idiots was more in reference to what I saw on this commodore cruise. Yes driving around normally you might see one or 2 people acting like absolute morons, but on this cruise I was absolutely shocked at what I saw. And in this instance, they were pretty much all V8s with p plates in the windows.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
yeah - put a bunch of bogans together in their POS Commodores and that'll happen. It's like a concentration of morons! Even if you put them all together they wouldn't have the common sense of a dog who learns once not to jump up at a BBQ that's on.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
yeah - put a bunch of bogans together in their POS Commodores and that'll happen. It's like a concentration of morons! Even if you put them all together they wouldn't have the common sense of a dog who learns once not to jump up at a BBQ that's on.

lol, so it isnt Austwich but commywich :p