Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange Speedo issue

Auzziephoenix

Typical P Plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
Jungle Fever R8
Hi All,

i have a strange Speedo issue where the digital speedo is not reading the same speed as the needle. Yes i know they are not 100% accurate, every so often as im driving along the difference can be upto 7km/h and other times <1km/h for the same speed.

But as you can see with the images below, car is stationary in the garage. the first one shows the needle about 5km/h.

And this one here is about 30 seconds after the first one. All i did was turn the car off, and restart it. Then the needle is alot closer to where it should be.

Anyone seen this before?

cheers

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I had something similar to this when i was exiting the freeway, i went from 110km/h down to 70km/h for a good 2km the needle said 110km/h where as the digital was showing my correct 70km/h speed i was going.

This has happened 2-3 times over the time i've had my car (2-3 years)... no idea why it occurs though.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Anyone seen this before?
I see you have had a lighting conversion done or bought a cluster with on done. The needle may be pushed on too hard, brushing against the dial face.. if thats the case, it commonly does get stuck near the bottom. Turning key off and on forces needle down. Whereas slow speeds cause the needle to get stuck.
Hopefully its something as simple as that!

Auzziephoenix

Typical P Plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
Jungle Fever R8
I see you have had a lighting conversion done or bought a cluster with on done. The needle may be pushed on too hard, brushing against the dial face.. if thats the case, it commonly does get stuck near the bottom. Turning key off and on forces needle down. Whereas slow speeds cause the needle to get stuck.
Hopefully its something as simple as that!

Certainly possible, I wasn't overly impressed with the workmanship of the conversion so i'll take a look at that.

However ive had another look. It also seems the Kms traveled don't line up with Distance left.

eg Distance left is set to 500 on default. And i traveled over 410 kms and the distance left still said ~120kms left..

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Certainly possible, I wasn't overly impressed with the workmanship of the conversion so i'll take a look at that.

However ive had another look. It also seems the Kms traveled don't line up with Distance left.

eg Distance left is set to 500 on default. And i traveled over 410 kms and the distance left still said ~120kms left..

I gotta say its common for the "distance left" to not be very accurate, since the reading based off the current fuel level isnt exactly a great guide, will fluctuate due to temperature changes. Id generally only use that as a guide, and base how far Iv got left from the trip meter and what I usually get.

But if it seems that its out a fair bit, generally thats a fuel programming issue. Different models may have slightly different fuel configurations, although generally its safe to say if the cluster came from a sedan, then the fuel parameters will be fairly accurate. Problems only occur when putting clusters from utes/one tonner ect into a sedan.

Auzziephoenix

Typical P Plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
Jungle Fever R8
I gotta say its common for the "distance left" to not be very accurate, since the reading based off the current fuel level isnt exactly a great guide, will fluctuate due to temperature changes. Id generally only use that as a guide, and base how far Iv got left from the trip meter and what I usually get.

But if it seems that its out a fair bit, generally thats a fuel programming issue. Different models may have slightly different fuel configurations, although generally its safe to say if the cluster came from a sedan, then the fuel parameters will be fairly accurate. Problems only occur when putting clusters from utes/one tonner ect into a sedan.

I wasn't very clear, I'm talking about distance to destination. Which is set to 500 when ever i reset the trip meter, this doesn't fluctuate depending on fuel like distance left does.

The distance to destination decreases in increments of 10, so being 120 kms out.. Is a bit suss to me.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
I wasn't very clear, I'm talking about distance to destination. Which is set to 500 when ever i reset the trip meter, this doesn't fluctuate depending on fuel like distance left does.

The distance to destination decreases in increments of 10, so being 120 kms out.. Is a bit suss to me.
Oooh I see, yeah that does seem suss. I deal with vy/vz clusters all the time and cant explain that. Could just be a error in the clusters programming. It happens from time to time when clusters dont accept new changes as they dont quite fit. Hopefully whatevers the go with the speedo is just a matter of the needle slightly touching on the faceplate and not something thats happened with some backyard eeprom cut/paste programming job and has messed with the speedos compression ratio ect.

Auzziephoenix

Typical P Plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
Jungle Fever R8
Ok so ive pulled it apart and checked the clearance of the needles. They seem fine. I've recalibrated the needles as per your guide in your cluster thread. So ill see how it goes. However id like to note that when I was turning the dials to see if there was any rubbing noises. The speed needle sounded like something was rattling around inside asif somrthibg was loose. Olpulled it really apart and nothing I could see.

The mechanism behind it, do they have a tendancy to fail or go bad? And can thry be replaced?

Could vibrations be affecting this module? Seeibg as the issue is intermittent. And goes away once I shut the car off abd restart it again.

Cheers