Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Speedo Issue?

Aden099

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Hey guys, just wanted to see if anyone else has this issue

Noticed today that my analog and digital speedo don't match, seems 6/7km variance between the two.

After a few stop and starts at low speed, I've noticed that the needle on the analog speedo seems to be resting a few cms below the 0km line when the car is stationary, the needle won't reach 0km until the car is at 6/7kms (or so I think indicated by the digital speedo).

Just asking around seeing if anyone has had issues like this, 2016 VF Calais V6, 170K on the clock.

Cheers

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
should be on zero so the pointer either has come loose and moved or the pointer driver is failing, or someone has tried to move it to correct for speed inaccuracy

Aden099

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
should be on zero so the pointer either has come loose and moved or the pointer driver is failing, or someone has tried to move it to correct for speed inaccuracy
Cheers man, think it would be an expensive fix?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if it needs a new driver system for the pointer possibly as best for a instrument place to do, or if its just loose then depends if it goes back on right as u cant use any glue as it could run in and cease the system, the digital one will be correct tho

Aden099

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
if it needs a new driver system for the pointer possibly as best for a instrument place to do, or if its just loose then depends if it goes back on right as u cant use any glue as it could run in and cease the system, the digital one will be correct tho
Your a ledgend mate, thanks for your help

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The needles are a tight fit and hard to get off the driver shaft, I doubt they'd ever slip and likely is the driver system malfunctioning.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The needles are a tight fit and hard to get off the driver shaft, I doubt they'd ever slip
agree, after pulling a number of these apart the only way i could see it slip is if it were melted or split because they are on tight and when removing them you feel like it is going to rip the whole shaft out with it.

if the op has gds they could try a recalibrate.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
agree, after pulling a number of these apart the only way i could see it slip is if it were melted or split because they are on tight and when removing them you feel like it is going to rip the whole shaft out with it.

if the op has gds they could try a recalibrate.
I've done a few HSV facia swaps on SSV clusters and using 2 teaspoons under the needle boss to lever them off worked pretty well to avoid damage, but they're mega tight on the driver shaft. I tried it first on an Evoke cluster someone gave me to lay into and didn't matter if I broke it.

While you're here stooge, that tutorial you posted a while back about changing cluster VIN's on the eeprom worked great, thanks for that!

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I had a noticeable 2 km/h discrepancy (the needle reading higher than the digital display) while driving between 70 & 110 km/h a few years back.

After getting home and switching the car off, it has never happened again.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I had a noticeable 2 km/h discrepancy (the needle reading higher than the digital display) while driving between 70 & 110 km/h a few years back.

After getting home and switching the car off, it has never happened again.

mine is like that as the pointer sits just a crack under zero so my pointer is 2% fast and digital is 3% faster then actual