Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Speedo Issue?

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
mine is like that as the pointer sits just a crack under zero so my pointer is 2% fast and digital is 3% faster then actual
I've set mine to be bang on GPS speed.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
The ‘analog’ speedo is actually not analogue at all. It’s driven by a stepper motor, so it is quite accurate and very linear.

Check the start up ‘sweep of the gauges’ and see if it is all out by the same amount. All the gauges go through a minimum to maximum value sweep when starting the car (or rather ‘ignition on’).

It most likely that it is some sort of needle to stepper motor misalignment. However, several others have commented that the needle is firmly attached, so it is unlikely to slip.

The other thought is that an ‘end stop’ (at zero) may have broken. Sometimes these things are ‘calibrated’ by running the motor hard against a mechanical stop, and then calling that a reference point. So, if an ‘end stop’ has broken, the ‘start up sweep’ will be mis-calibrating the zero point as well.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I've set mine to be bang on GPS speed.
i thought about fixing the pointer on mine so it was on zero so same as digital and then adjusting with hpt but i always like a couple km fast up my sleeve, also a speedo reading spot on at 100kph can read under at 40kph, they are like MOI so faster u go the further out it gets

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Did you do that via the ECM with HP Tuners?
if u look at wheel speed on hpt it will be actual speed and the dash will be couple km faster so u can adjust the speed to make it closer, i havnt seen if it actually corrects the vehicle speed or just cluster speed yet tho

speedo.jpg

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Did you do that via the ECM with HP Tuners?
Yep. I found the easiest way was by adjusting the final drive ratio in the ECM (you can see it's 3.35:1). You could do it by changing tire specs and all that too.
1705633237430.png

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Yep. I found the easiest way was by adjusting the final drive ratio in the ECM (you can see it's 3.35:1). You could do it by changing tire specs and all that too.
View attachment 263059
thats strange as changing the diff ratio will also change the tailshaft rpm because ur auto that is taken into account, usually i just do the tyre revs per/km adjust by percentage and it corrects it all for speedo but dosnt affect the auto rpm

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
thats strange as changing the diff ratio will also change the tailshaft rpm because ur auto that is taken into account, usually i just do the tyre revs per/km adjust by percentage and it corrects it all for speedo but dosnt affect the auto rpm
Yes changing the diff does change the tailshaft rpm and I needed to recalibrate the speedo since I went from 2.92 to 3.27. I put it to 3.27:1 initially, but then thought I could do better. Havent seen having the ECM at 3.35:1 have any affect at all on anything except speedo though?

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
woops double post, ignore.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
thought u may have had to adjust the shift rpm or speed a little to suit the different diff to trans diff settings maby