Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange SV6 Engine noise (with video) - please help

jet-6

Yer im that guy!
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SX6 ADVENTRA
Have you started the engine with the belt off, that would be a good start!

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Ok - so you can do that?

yeah do it with a cold motor, and dont run it for too long, your only seeing if its a pulley related problem

baracuda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
if it was a startermotor constantly engaged the internals be rooted by now and the comutator woud have flared out internally.initialy sounds like you got maybe a sensor or something plastic hitting a pulley or belt or coud even be a wire from wiring harness running up against a moving part.

thebulk

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE
I found the problem :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Now I just need to figure out how to fix it :)

The bearing wheel that bends the belt back between the A/C and the power steering pump is the cause. Can I repair the bearing myself or with the help of Supercheap Auto or do I need to wait until monday for holden parts to open and get a new one?

Thankyou to everybody for your ongoing help :)

Attachments

• IMG_2000.JPG
    IMG_2000.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2001.JPG
    IMG_2001.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 328

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
looks just like the one i was trying to explain lol. Goood to hear you found it.

My mate got a new nearing from supercheap/repco, and just called up RACQ and said his car has broken down. They came to look at the ****ed bearing, he said oh heres one to go on it if your up for it, and he did it.

thebulk

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE
Thanks again guys - I did the old bush mechanic style - gave it a few taps with a big hammer and then put it back on - sounds gone away. Ba -ute- ti full

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
My vz just developed a whirring noise that I tracked down to that same tensioner bearing...the bearing was tight to turn but the car has done 80k....you would think if it was worn out it would be easy to turn due to wear not hard but took it off and pushed a small amount of grease into it and put it back on and its quieted down ....just wondered do you buy the tensioner pulley complete or do you just replace the bearing?