Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange Vn ignition wiring short, thoughts and suggestions much appreciated.

madlr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Vacationer;)
Hey everyone :)

I have a 91 VN Vacationer auto, motor wise it runs great never missed a beat the auto trans isn't the best and will occasionally stall when you put it in drive but only rarely other than that its a pretty clean reliable car had her for about 3 months and i don't exactly nanna her ;)

That was until the other week when i went to start her and it fired, ran for about 5 seconds died and then a fair bit of smoke came out from under the dash near the fuse panel straight away i turned the ignition off and checked for fires. There were no fires, so the next day i took the panel under the steering wheel off to get a proper look i had a very good look and can't seem to find much apart from number 8 fuse had melted into the fuse panel and the wires the the back had taken damage and it had popped the ignition fuse.

The car has had previous electrical problems the guy that gave it to me said if i could start it i could have it, he said it kept blowing ignition fuses. I replaced the battery (which happened to be for a motorbike) hahaa and replaced the fuse and the fuse has only blown a couple of times since.

Obviously there is a big short somewhere my question is where is it? Why will my car crank sometimes and not other times? and what does number 8 fuse have to do with ignition?

Any ideas thoughts suggestion will be much appreciated, its the shittest when everything is mechanically fine and you get stupid electrical shorts.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Fuse no. 8 stop lights. Do you keep blowing the same brake globe(s) as well?

And it should be a 10 amp fuse.