Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stuffed engine

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Hey @Ron Burgundy hand over your old 6.2 as a donor to OP;)

Just to add I will lose my 3yr warranty soon after one since owned service this coming monday. Mechanic will do it and does logbook sevices, is good, loyal as far as I know.

I've not cracked 30k yet so if I have a Ron like ls3 issue do I have a leg to stand on after that warranty finishes and Ive used a qualified mechanic but not a manufacturer mech?

Mmmmm there should be no difference in Holden's position on the basis of car not being serviced by them (as long as it was done by a qualified mechanic); but if it is out of warranty you are at their mercy especially because excess piston to bore clearance is not super common issue on ls3...
You would have some chance if it was massive engine failure just outside warranty...but you will find that they are legally not obliged to cover you unless it fell under ACL

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I haven't failed to grasp the intent of such warranty clauses which are designed (1) to make it easier for Holden to avoid product warranty in some cases, and (2) to serve to bolster their service business (since most would then naturally gravitate towards the dealer for professional servicing).

The existence of such clauses within a warranty booklet simply make it much less likely for an owner to challenge Holden when a problem does occur and they invoke the clause. But a warranty booklet was not negotiated between equal parties and as such may not carry the full weight and protection of contract law. However, getting legal does have risk and costs, especially in civil court. If things do get legal, a judge could still look at the specifics and disregard such a clause in this case (or he could consider the clause to be unconscionable and strike it from the warranty booklet altogether, for the benefit of all). The judge could also clarify exactly where the burden of proof be placed in such cases (and such a burden may not be very high). But due to the differences in position and strength of each party, i'd say the burden of proof should be at Holden's feet.

Thing is, unless Holden can attribute the failure directly to something obviously negligent on the owners behalf, then to simply deny even looking at a potential warranty claim because one changed their oil (minor service in OP's terms) is simply using their position to bully a potentially inappropriate term against a customer. So all i'm really advocating here is that a little more info is needed by Holden, which would require some further investigation by them, before any warranty is denied regardless of the owner oil changes.

I still feel that to deny any warranty simply because someone changed oil at home isn't identifying a causal factor but rather using clauses to weasel out of their obligations. Guess it's just a difference of opinion than a failure to grasp :p
I knew that only someone with legal background would be comfortable with producing such long posts :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Hey @Ron Burgundy hand over your old 6.2 as a donor to OP;)

Just to add I will lose my 3yr warranty soon after one since owned service this coming monday. Mechanic will do it and does logbook sevices, is good, loyal as far as I know.

I've not cracked 30k yet so if I have a Ron like ls3 issue do I have a leg to stand on after that warranty finishes and Ive used a qualified mechanic but not a manufacturer mech?
As long as a registered business does a log book service and you are provided with service report/receipt on company letter head with the document body containing odometer reading and date of service, you have proof of appropriate vehicle servicing.

As such, there is no issue with being denied a valid warranty claim as it's against the law for Holden to require dealer servicing as a condition of providing a factory warranty.

Obviously, at times the dealer can and do fob off warranty claims that should otherwise be valid claims. So it's always a struggle for owners who have concerns (injectors, steering, and such pop into mind) regardless of correct servicing.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I knew that only someone with legal background would be comfortable with producing such long posts :)
I am not a lawyer ;) nor do i work with legal types :p

I just think that one needs more than two words to make a (decent) sentance :rolleyes:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I am not a lawyer ;) nor do i work with legal types :p

I just think that one needs more than two words to make a (decent) sentance :rolleyes:

Yes.. it's all about decent sentEnces :)

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
The OP will come back to see this thread and think WTF... I only wanted to hear if it's worth repairing or should i sell the car ;)

On that note...notwithstanding the other parts of discussion ..I think the OP should repair rather than sell ;)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes.. it's all about decent sentEnces :)
Hahaha..
Hm, i can think of 5 letters, one letter repeated three times, to make a valid two word sentEnce :p

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
Personally I’d service my vf2 over some apprentice or teenager at the dealer with a 6 week tafe course under his belt any day. How hard is it not to fu#k an oil and filter change. I dont actually trust my dealer to touch my car after some of the appauling work they did initially before I went elsewhere. It seems like a decent mechanic at a dealership now days is like a unicorn..

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Personally I’d service my vf2 over some apprentice or teenager at the dealer with a 6 week tafe course under his belt any day. How hard is it not to fu#k an oil and filter change. I dont actually trust my dealer to touch my car after some of the appauling work they did initially before I went elsewhere. It seems like a decent mechanic at a dealership now days is like a unicorn..

I don't disagree with this. If I had a real choice I would do all work on my car. You just gotta be prepared to wear risk of denied warranty claim...

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
And if you have a decent mechanic you can keep to the service interval with them and do your own oil/filter change and general maintenance in between.