Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stupid stuff Holden did.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I'm not making excuses but I can see how these decisions come about.

On the flip side, be happy that Holden ended up producing the VF, it could have very easily been cancelled by GM.
Yeah, I understand that and also the decision processes… GM wanted to save money because they‘re been planing to pull out of this market for years so Holden build cheap stuff and charge lots for it…

Just remember that when closure was announced, the Chevy SS was discounted 40% in the USA by GM but we paid a premium cause Holden wanted cash. What a way to give us the middle finger…

Even with all of that I’m happy I bought my VF cause it’s the car I wanted. But it was not smooth sailing and not happy how Holden/GM/dealers behaved when issues occurred. Some were a PITA to sort out.

I‘ve always thought problems happen in all complex machines and organisations but what separates good from bad is how the sellers/manufacturers handle the problems when they occur.

Some manufactures are great but many are appalling at standing by the products they put on the market. Case in point:
  • Apple blamed owners for holding their phone incorrectly when they knew they had a design fault around how they built the antenna.
  • Ford blamed owners for the issues around its double clutch gearbox because they just didn’t understand how a double clutch gearbox should work… $10M in fines down under.
  • Holden says that LS3’s all sound like a bucket of bolts in a washing machine and performance engine aren’t quiet on start up… Told to refund owner $47K in NZed.
  • etc, etc, etc…

Luckily, in my case most but not all issues have been sorted out… Diff replacement being one large job which has me worrying that something may now fall off (cause mechanics seem not to want to use a torque wrench as they have the “touch”). And I’m also left wondering when the injectors will die… when maps will be updated, etc, etc…

Does it matter GM or Holden or the starts are at fault, no. It’s a seller and manufacturer problem to resolve and Holden just doesn’t give a shite.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Cost cutting on parts is now the norm. I remember when an old Holden or Ford diff of the 70s could do 500k and never have the oil changed and still not have a noisy pinion or carrier bearings. Now a days no matter what the brand diff if you get 250k without a bearing kit you doing well, even with bi-yearly oil changes...

US manufacturers are well known for trimming the fat. If you use a part that lasts the warranty period plus some that's all they want. Most car makers are the same, if they can save $20, 10,000 times they are all for it, within reason obviously.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Does it matter GM or Holden or the starts are at fault, no. It’s a seller and manufacturer problem to resolve and Holden just doesn’t give a shite.

Holden doesn't exist any more....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden doesn't exist any more....
Wrong…

The business name Holden still exists and is valid. The business name is owned by the entity now called General Motors Australia And New Zealand Pty Ltd with ABN 84 006 893 232 which still exists and is valid.

And the entity GM A &NZ still has assets including stock of Corvettes which are handled via their trading name GMSV. So the courts can still fcuk with them…

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
But they won’t…
Of course they will.

If a tribunal case is won by the claimant where the respondent (Holden owned by GM A&NZ) are found liable and costs are also awarded, they gotta pay. If they don’t pay, the claimant can get an order from the courts to have the sherif go in and seize assets… It’s a process and courts can’t ignore the law…

So Corvette come to daddy :p:p:p
(not serious about the corvette as that’s a joke but the principle is there)

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Money talks bullsh1t walks, good luck to Joe Blo Holden driver getting anywhere in the courtroom, let alone to the courtroom without at least law and order bogan victims unit onside and a half million in their wallet. Courts can do whatever they want for the most part

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Money talks bullsh1t walks, good luck to Joe Blo Holden driver getting anywhere in the courtroom, let alone to the courtroom without at least law and order bogan victims unit onside and a half million in their wallet. Courts can do whatever they want for the most part
The only time the average joe gets a look in at justice is when a class action gets funded, and it’s the lawyers and financial backers that get most of the money anyway.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Wrong…

The business name Holden still exists and is valid. The business name is owned by the entity now called General Motors Australia And New Zealand Pty Ltd with ABN 84 006 893 232 which still exists and is valid.

And the entity GM A &NZ still has assets including stock of Corvettes which are handled via their trading name GMSV. So the courts can still fcuk with them…

The people we knew as Holden don't exist any more. They are now a zombie organization controlled from the US AND THEY DON"T GIVE A **** ABOUT YOU AND YOUR VF COMMODORE AND IT'S FAULTS.

Holden is now a shell company and is only so because it is required to still be here to support vehicles spares/warranties as required by the law. The day that statutory obligation ceases to exist so will the Holden shell company.

Of course they will.

If a tribunal case is won by the claimant where the respondent (Holden owned by GM A&NZ) are found liable and costs are also awarded, they gotta pay. If they don’t pay, the claimant can get an order from the courts to have the sherif go in and seize assets… It’s a process and courts can’t ignore the law…

So Corvette come to daddy :p:p:p
(not serious about the corvette as that’s a joke but the principle is there)

That might be so but what assets does that company have in AU and NZ? What is there for the courts to go after? You'll have a hard time chasing them in the US courts where they are physically based.

I know that the former local Holden dealer spares department has been farmed out to a 3rd party organization (who aren't very helpful at best) and the dealership has re-branded. Sure they still service Holden cars but is about it.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Holden is now just a forgotten name on a document lost in the ether...
And Holden managers(if they wanted to continue to be managers) did exactly what they were told by their GM overlords...