Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SU-77-LE Drift Commodore

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Why are you putting the turbo there? Good build thread though, keep us posted with the progress.

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
dont worry mate, always posting my progress. :)

as for why, it was mostly due to cost. i was able to purchase the parts i didnt have for almost the same prices as prefabbed headers were going to cost on thier own. it meant a little more effort on the construction side, but it was an acceptable sacrifice for me.

i plan on finishing the welding and then joining on the wastegates this coming weekend (weather pending)

DavoVP

Reaction score
Mate, I have read the thread you made on Boost about this where EVERYONE was calling you an idiot, And sorry but after seeing this i would haft to agree with ALOT of their comments.

What is wrong with mounting it under the bonnet ? or up under the rear of the car as a rear mount system ? If i were you id go a rear mount ! and mount it where the fuel tank USED to be. lol youd be done by now if you did it that way aswell....

The turbo is going to get a hell of alot hotter then you think ! you will cook the gear box oil, most likely cook you leg and if a moving part in that turbo lets go where it is, lets just say it will suck to be you ! ( they spin very very very fast ! )

DavoVP

Reaction score
It all depends on what your doing to them, Generally they just let go internally and bits of the exhaust wheel end up out the back of the car or bits of the compressor wheel end up in your motor, But i wouldn't want to be taking the gamble with a " Grenade " that close to my body when i had other placement options. Not to mention the heat it would generate in the cabin.

I've even seen guys mount them in the boot on drift hacks !

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
Its getting covered, so its not like its going to be out in the open next to me. its also getting thicker guage panelling around it than what even the firewall was originally. i know that in the bay, it had an engine next to it and was further away, but i really dont think its going to be a great issue.

i havent planned anything official yet for the heat management, but once it all goes back together i really have faith that heat isnt going to be an issue. I realise it will still get warmer in the cab than before due to the fact tha the heat source is right there, but with a beanie, wrapped pipes, sheilding over the pipes and also double layered+ insulated panels, im not thinking that its going to be that bad.

obviously if it were just there and had one layer of the thin stuff the car is made of, then yea, i could understand it getting burning hot, like red hot. but just have faith. iv worked it out as im going so far, so when i get to that stage, im sure ill sort something out.

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
unrelated question, the little spout that the heater line normally attatches to (under the powersteering pump), can i block that up and also block the line where it re-attatches at the back of the intake manifold?? otherwise i have to link it up with hose...

im just not sure if it will affect the coolant flow thru the motor at all. it shouldnt, but i thought id ask first.