Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

subwoofer not as loud

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Change the phase on the sub.

Zend3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Could be a controversial opinion, but try changing the position of the sub forwards or backwards in the boot as it may be phase cancellation. I've definitely noticed it with my new sub (where it didn't seem apparent with the old set).

Maybe it's all in my head after I read about it :hmmm:

Lazyr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII R8 CLUBSPORT VE SS v2 monaro hsv avalanche 46
You really should know what an RCA is if giving audio advice though.

at time of posting that first comment i had been up for around 36 hours i know what its called.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Change the phase on the sub.
^Also worth a try.

at time of posting that first comment i had been up for around 36 hours i know what its called.

Go to bed then.

Could be a controversial opinion, but try changing the position of the sub forwards or backwards in the boot as it may be phase cancellation. I've definitely noticed it with my new sub (where it didn't seem apparent with the old set).

Maybe it's all in my head after I read about it :hmmm:

OOO here we go, bringing the old out of phase wave cancellation back into contention. :boxing:
While it is a valid idea and also worth a try, I don't think it would make a huge difference, could be wrong though.

He still hasn't mentioned what car it's going into from his VY. It could come down to different size/shaped boots affecting the cabin gain and the wave cancellation...

I suppose while I'm at it I'll throw something else in. Is it in a sealed box? Is there any chance that the box was treated roughly while changing it into the other car and may no longer be a sealed box?

Sent from my Computer using Google Chrome

Zend3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
OOO here we go, bringing the old out of phase wave cancellation back into contention. :boxing:
While it is a valid idea and also worth a try, I don't think it would make a huge difference, could be wrong though.

I'm perfectly willing to admit that phase cancellation isn't the devil in my case, but I experience a huge difference in the sound level of bass between having the sub directly at the mouth of the boot/interior vs. the very back of the boot (irrespective of whether the centre seat is down or not). Could just be some nuance of sub behaviour that I don't understand and I simply blame it (unfairly!) on cancellation.

:hiding:

guyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY_S
^Also worth a try.

Go to bed then.

He still hasn't mentioned what car it's going into from his VY. It could come down to different size/shaped boots affecting the cabin gain and the wave cancellation...

I suppose while I'm at it I'll throw something else in. Is it in a sealed box? Is there any chance that the box was treated roughly while changing it into the other car and may no longer be a sealed box?

Sent from my Computer using Google Chrome

it went into a VS...i dont think the positioning has anything to do with it...its like the sub isnt working at all (although it is) i can see by just at it that the cone is hardly moving...im pretty sure it wasnt damaged, its in its own kicker box that it came in...still got to get around to adjusting the gains...it could be that the speaker gains are set to high hence he the hu volume is around 15 but the music is really loud...does that make sense i hope so lol

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
it went into a VS...i dont think the positioning has anything to do with it...its like the sub isnt working at all (although it is) i can see by just at it that the cone is hardly moving...im pretty sure it wasnt damaged, its in its own kicker box that it came in...still got to get around to adjusting the gains...it could be that the speaker gains are set to high hence he the hu volume is around 15 but the music is really loud...does that make sense i hope so lol

If the sub is barely working that is definitely a signal issue and wouldn't be because of the different boot.

If it is very quiet then your gain is most likely too low.

I'll give a quick explanation of the gain function..

Headunits output the sound as an electrical current through the RCA cables. The VOLTAGE that each headunit outputs the electrical current at varies quite a bit. The idea of a gain control is to adjust how SENSITIVE the amplifier is to the incoming voltage from the headunit. While it should never be used as a volume setting, the gain can be used to adjust the volume of the speakers to the correct volume levels of the headunit ie. full volume on the headunit is almost as loud as the speakers will go before distorting.

If it isn't the gain then you may as well try to swap batteries just to rule that out. Failing that you will need to test your amp with another subwoofer (or even just a speaker) and test your subwoofer with another amplifier. This is so that we can narrow it down to it being the sub or the amp at fault.

If you have a multimeter then hook the up to your sub wires and see what sort of a resistance they are producing. If it is ridiculously high or low then it could be buggered. If it's roughly 3-4ohms then it should be okay.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Could also be the sub out on the head unit it self is set low. It would of reset in the move. See if it has separate sub control.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
You may be right, didn't suggest anything along those lines because he said "the settings on the headunit are all the same".

Once again, wouldn't hurt to look.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
make sure the positive wire on the amp isn't connected to the negative on the sub/terminal
make sure the negative on the amp isn't connected to the positive on the sub/terminal

if you have taking the sub out of the box, check them wires to (sub to terminal)

i have done that once and the sub was moving alot but no sound ^