Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

Calsports

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Recently bought a March built 2016 Calais from a dealer, car has full service history, 97,000ks. Less than 500ks after purchase I was slowing down at an intersection and the dash showed the classic fault message '!Service Power Steering, Drive with Care'. I drove through the intersection with no power assist and got the car into a turning lane just up the road, it was like maneuvering a battleship. Family in the car with me on an 80kph stretch of road. If my wife was driving there is NO WAY she would have been able to steer the car...at all.

Took it to Holden service centre, they said:
  • Computer showed diagnostic trouble code (DTC) C-0565
  • Carried out further testing and recommend new power steering rack
  • Car VIN is not on the recall list, so GMH will not pay for repairs
  • Total cost of repair including labour, just over 5k
Rang the dealer I bought the car from as it is still under the 3 month stat warranty and told him it needs a new steering rack. He was pretty pleased.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Recently bought a March built 2016 Calais from a dealer, car has full service history, 97,000ks. Less than 500ks after purchase I was slowing down at an intersection and the dash showed the classic fault message '!Service Power Steering, Drive with Care'. I drove through the intersection with no power assist and got the car into a turning lane just up the road, it was like maneuvering a battleship. Family in the car with me on an 80kph stretch of road. If my wife was driving there is NO WAY she would have been able to steer the car...at all.

Took it to Holden service centre, they said:
  • Computer showed diagnostic trouble code (DTC) C-0565
  • Carried out further testing and recommend new power steering rack
  • Car VIN is not on the recall list, so GMH will not pay for repairs
  • Total cost of repair including labour, just over 5k
Rang the dealer I bought the car from as it is still under the 3 month stat warranty and told him it needs a new steering rack. He was pretty pleased.
Thanks. Did the dealer accept the fact they have to replace the rack? And I wonder why your car wasn't on the recall list?

Calsports

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Thanks. Did the dealer accept the fact they have to replace the rack? And I wonder why your car wasn't on the recall list?
Taking it back to dealer in a couple of days, we'll see what he says. Statutory warranties are pretty weak so I won't be surprised if there is some negotiating coming my way. The Holden service centre said they have a VIN list from GM related to the recall and if you aren't on it, then tough. GM in the US/Canada etc. recalled over a million cars because of this fault, the published VF recall list in Australia is currently sitting at about 73,000 cars, hardly any of them are 2016 models, but the service centre didn't look at that list, he looked at the official GM one.
I also rang GM Holden, yes they still exist, on their 1800 number. I was told essentially the same thing as the service centre told me....they have a list of VIN and if you aren't on it, they don't have to pay for the fix. You can however make an individual case to GMH via an 'out of warranty claim' that the GMH service centre can assist you with, where GM 'may' reimburse the costs of the fix. I won't be holding my breath on that one.