Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
^^^ Clearly you haven't heard very many european v6's...

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
I like the sound of a RB26DETT. Also the 2JZ-GTE, but that's just me - everyone in the world prefers the sound of Statesman V8 from 3 blocks away to these smooth twin cammed turbo'd Japanese 6 cylinders, obviously.

Oh, and go the VS L67, then take the supercharged badges off and grab some normal ecotec ones... people will think it's just a normal L36 - until...

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
minux im not worried about the sound of the motor.

main thing being power. like if i spend 5k on both motors. which one will yeild the best results.

also does anyone know about the gearbox?

im guessing they would both run the same box. but if the l67 runs the v6 gearbox it wont last very long

Nothing wrong with the gearbox in the L67. People who argue that gearboxes break just don't service them. I really don't know if the gearboxes in the L67 is different to the L36 but honestly it's not even an issue.

5 litre
If u geta 6, ppl will give u ****. :)

Only people with inferiority complexes will do that. :whistling

Holden V6 are pretty junky and sound ****. No way in hell I would own a 6 cylinder commodore besides the VL. V8 dude.

Junky? What the hell do you mean by that? What's 'junky' about them? The ecotec is a damn reliable engine and the supercharged one is every bit as good with strengthened internals. Some people make dumb comments.

Performance wise the supercharged 6 was rated at 165kw. The V8 was rated at 168kw. The beauty of the L67 over the 5L is that it has instant go as soon as you put you foot down. More 'throw you back in the seat' feel off the line. The 5L will have a higher top end speed but by adding a smaller pulley, high ratio roller rockers, extractors and a slightly bigger exhaust you'll get the top end performance and the low end torque.

I love my supercharged 6. If it has one negative it's that it's a pain changing the thermostat. The thermostat is located at the back of the motor under the supercharger intake. You need the remove that 'u-bend' piece which is only 3 bolts but it's right up against the firewall.

Performance: Excellent performance off the line.

Reliability: Not an issue!

Performance upgrade: Readily avaliable and not that expensive. 87mm pulley $150 - $400 depending on where you buy. Plenty available on the internet from the US. Yella Terra roller rockers about $650 - $750 mark. Extractors and a twin 2.25" into 3" exhaust. Give or take $1000.

And those who say a 5L will sound better... No kidding Einstein! My farts will rival any V8 but would anyone be willing to ride around on me because I sound good? I doubt it.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Being a Luxo Barge i would go the 5ltr as the sound is a must with a stato:p
However if it was a Calais then the super6 would be my choice!