Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SuperCharge Battery in VK - One of those "DOH" moments

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, S1 VE wagon SSV8
I can buy an SC at about 60% of the retail price that AB sells them for. I still decided to go Delco even though it was around $120 more IIRC.
Wise. Well worth the extra if it's in there trouble-free for many years.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Your battery wasn't cheap. I can buy an SC to suit a VK for under $140.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Buy one from the SC warehouse you will soon see how much markup auto stores add to them.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The way a battery warranty works is, head back to where you purchased he battery and ask them to load test it...

If you are unhappy, you are entitled to request the rep for the company to come check it out.

They should also show the test being done and the result...

In all my years dealing with batteries (yes tyre companies sell batteries and test them for those who may question my response), I have never had an issue if a battery is faulty for it to be replaced.

I have never struck a new battery dying within 2 days due to it being faulty...It's normally another issue creating the problem.

So I'd be checking you don't have a current draw causing the issue first, before going down the path of a faulty battery...

The fact it has been fitted to an old car has no bearing on the result....As long as the CCA is identical or greater than what was originally fitted, it is fine
Yes The fellow at Battery World also asked about electrics possible causing a drain. Nothing has changed in the car except I pulled all the fuses out and checked the terminals and re-installed the fuses. Also swapped the headlight halogens around back to original. The RAC battery I bought second hand lasted about 5 years with me, on top of it's previous life with the last owner. However I might think about getting an autolec to check the wiring, maybe they can determine if there is any drains to ground. After all, it is 40 years old now and a few things have stopped working, mainly the blower fan. Although that may be the switch or something else inside the dash/heater assy. But that's been like that 6 months, well before this new battery.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I've said it before I'll say it again, the best batteries in terms of quality and value for money is Delkor. All of my cars have them and they last and last. One of them has been in the Mazda for 4 years now and still cranks on a cold day like it's a brand new battery.
Delco Delkor - very similar names - are they totally different companies? And AC Delco used to make many of the Holden genuine parts in the earlier days. I assume the batteries are one of their divisions. Like Autolite was to Ford.

Reactions: Lex

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Your battery wasn't cheap. I can buy an SC to suit a VK for under $140.
But you must have, or have had, access to warehouse prices. The general public has to buy retail usually, which always means paying the middle-men.

When you look up the "general rule" for CCA recommendations, it's usually given as 1 CCA per cube. So that means the old 202 would only need around 200CCA ! But with aircond that would go up so let's say 250CCA. So I'm sure that a 250 CCA battery would easily be only $140. But there's no way I'd consider putting in anything less than a 550CCA. Also remember that the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) rating was created more for the freezing Euro climates. With the ratings given at some crazy low temp below zero. In Aust mostly, with our temps mostly well above 0 degrees, these batteries should perform better.

Personally, I think that like so many things in the last 15 years or so, where performance ratings are given, the figures are fiddled with. Or if not "fiddled with", they are used to mislead buyers into more confidence about the product which in many cases would not be as good as an earlier one of years ago. So a 1990's battery of average quality (eg Century or Marshall) rated at 500CCA and 100RC I'm pretty sure would outperform and outlast a battery of that same rating made today. Although I'd love to hear from and be proved wrong in that thinking by others with extended experience in the auto battery industry.

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
don't buy any battery from supershit they will wait until the rep tests the battery before they honor the warranty they tried charging a battery for 3 days before they admitted it was rooted. Very helpful when you need the car.
I don't know what drugs ole mate above is on
When you look up the "general rule" for CCA recommendations, it's usually given as 1 CCA per cube. So that means the old 202 would only need around 200CCA ! But with aircond that would go up so let's say 250CCA
the factory battery VK commodores came with was 450cca

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
But you must have, or have had, access to warehouse prices. The general public has to buy retail usually, which always means paying the middle-men.

When you look up the "general rule" for CCA recommendations, it's usually given as 1 CCA per cube. So that means the old 202 would only need around 200CCA ! But with aircond that would go up so let's say 250CCA. So I'm sure that a 250 CCA battery would easily be only $140. But there's no way I'd consider putting in anything less than a 550CCA. Also remember that the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) rating was created more for the freezing Euro climates. With the ratings given at some crazy low temp below zero. In Aust mostly, with our temps mostly well above 0 degrees, these batteries should perform better.

Personally, I think that like so many things in the last 15 years or so, where performance ratings are given, the figures are fiddled with. Or if not "fiddled with", they are used to mislead buyers into more confidence about the product which in many cases would not be as good as an earlier one of years ago. So a 1990's battery of average quality (eg Century or Marshall) rated at 500CCA and 100RC I'm pretty sure would outperform and outlast a battery of that same rating made today. Although I'd love to hear from and be proved wrong in that thinking by others with extended experience in the auto battery industry.
I put a exide 750 cca into my vt v6 6 speed auto + electric power steering + electric water pump.
I had a very big hammer to make everything (joking) work.
4 years ago the battery was $200.00

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I put a Bosch 70Ah 770 CCA with 36 month warranty in my VE in November last year after what appeared to be the factory AC Delco battery (55Ah 460 CCA) cacked itself after 11 years.

Cost between $250 & $300.....can't remember the exact amount.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Anyone can buy from our local warehouse. I paid about $120 for a battery to suit my VR. I nearly did buy another SC but started hearing neg reliability issues so opted for a Delco.

Reactions: Lex