Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharged or not supercharged

feg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S/C
Take them all for a drive. Then decide. Also I think you mean SC6 not SV6, thats alot later a model?

feg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S/C
Yeah the ls1 would be the choice, but there is extra layout but you are looking at better resale.

Keeffe

Reaction score
Members Ride
None ATM
I can buy a standard VYii with 100,000 on it for $8500 too might be the better choice

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Super 6 hands down. The fact that you'd even ask is alarming if the 2 cars are the same money.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I'm pretty sure the super 6 is actually better on fuel while cruising. If it's not then there is no noticable difference. You wont lose near as much on the resale with the super 6 plus it's one of the premium engines where the NA 6 is just the budget base model, anytime you can afford it the high end engines are allways the way to go when buying any commodore

executive_driven

5th gear pinned
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT 5.0 5speed
i find it a little wierd that youd need to ask? buy the super six mate you wont look back...

Keeffe

Reaction score
Members Ride
None ATM
One of you find it weird, and the other finds it alarming that I ask how fuel efficient a supercharged commodore is? lol...................

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
keeffe, if u don't buy the super 6 charger you'll regret it. How old are u? if you don't have any dependants, why not??

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
One of you find it weird, and the other finds it alarming that I ask how fuel efficient a supercharged commodore is? lol...................

I think you mistook my angle mate........same cars for the same money but one with the charger and one without?

The charger bypasses boost predominantly until you tap the accelerator with attitude. It basically uses the same petrol off boost.

The thing that will save you petrol with the charger is it will labour up hills better (less revs needed) and generally be abit more torque prone everywhere thus you will need less revs to get the same performance that the N/A car gives.

If you drive in a restrained manner petrol usage won't be an issue and you will have a better basis to do it with in the super 6 IMHO.

One day if you decide performance is what you want you will have a good base for some fun mods but the N/A car will not give much in that area without big money. That being said, an LS1 would be far better bang for your buck than either if you want to mod.

Sorry for the rant but alot of people underate the super6

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
Yeah the ls1 would be the choice, but there is extra layout but you are looking at better resale.

this is the second comment you have made that i would consider crap.

mate as for the choice. im not going to stand here and say that i wouldn't have preferred an ls1 over the super6 because that would be a lie, just the sound is what gets me, nothing like a v8. unless you are constantly on boost in the super6, i really don't think there is much of a difference in the fuel usage compared to a standard commodore, and i would know Ive owned both. just sold a vt for a cv6. on highway i would have to say it is just as good. however play with your throttle around town and get ready to see that fuel gauge move. power: v6, just nothing there man. super6, well i will be going for 220rwkw on a light tune (looking for 12's down the track), that is spending about 2.3gs on mods. ls1: my cuz has spent 1g on tune and catback, 600 on 3.45 centre and has run a 13.6 last friday. these are all real figures,not crap like "a friends friends car did this", and other **** people talk.

if i was in your situation, i would go the v8, just so much potential, but if it is out of the super6 and n/a 6, super6 all the way

don't listen to idiots that talk crap like "you have to use more expensive premium fuel" because it all turns out to be the same in the end. or idiots that say buy a v8 because of resale value :bang: go look at the difference in prices, and as fuel gets more expensive again, well, i don't think i have to explain what will happen to the price of a v8!

just my 2 cents, trying to help you out as much as possible. anyone is more than welcome to debate them.

kind regards johnny