Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suspension strut bearing/bush worn? VZ Commodore V6

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I'm only trying to help

So you're wanting to help people, there is nothing wrong with that mate......There are lots of helpful members on here.
But in reply to, "don't know why people pay for it to be done" & "buy something nice for your self with the money you saved"
As I said in my previous post:
"Some people won't feel at all comfortable doing these kind of repairs (or others) on their vehicle so employ the services of a mechanic"

watch the YouTube video

Good old YouTube
I call it the best place online to learn how to do something the wrong way.
Youtube Mechanics.png

Great place to watch burnout videos though.

rcsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I'm not forcing anyone to do anything they are not comfortable doing just giving advice which is what these forums are for and if someone learns something and saves money and has the pride of doing a job them self then that's great I'm not having a go at people for trying to help so if you don't have anything useful or helpful to say shut up and take your crap someplace else

Last edited:

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Hey Folks

I was looking under my bonnet today and i noticed there is a gap of about 5mm between the strut tower and the top mounting plate on my passenger side which I suspect means the bush/bearing assembly is stuffed. I don't have any obvious clunks or noises.
I have attached 2 photos..............
Hi gman I just wanted to say thank you for posting this up - especially the pictures. Now I know to keep an eye on them on my car - great post, thanks so much.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I'm not having a go at people for trying to help

Since when is replying with:
"So you're wanting to help people, there is nothing wrong with that mate" having a go at you for trying to help anyone.

Just in case you forgot what was going on, I've highlighted a couple of things below from what I thought was a discussion......
Your initial comment in this thread was:
"Buy parts do it your self it's so easy don't know why people pay for it to be done"
I replied with following comment:
"Some people won't feel at all comfortable doing these kind of repairs (or others) on their vehicle so employ the services of a mechanic", as my intention was to point out 1 of the possible reasons why some people would "Pay for it to be done"

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
if you don't have anything useful or helpful to say shut up and take your crap someplace else

In response to this little remark:
I hope that the following crap is enough useful & helpful information for you.
Useful:
You failed to point out that you will need to have a wheel alignment done after replacing any suspension components on your vehicle.
Helpful:
If you could try your hardest to use some punctuation in your posts that would be really helpful, both for myself and the other forum members that you are trying to help......because they presently read like the ramblings of some snot faced 5 year old.

Anyways I'm done so have a nice day. :)

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
This discussion (?) has prompted me to get the bushes replaced on my Cross6.
A local suspension guru, supply, fit, wheel align, 2 mechanics, 40 minutes, and not one chip to my beautifully manicured nails, $300. Although my bushes were not as stuffed as shown in https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-commodore-struts.265413/ they were in need of replacement, and have increased the ride height by about 20mm.
I asked for a wheel alignment, and was told it was not necessary, but I insisted it be done for Justin Case. Found all to be within tolerance, and no adjustments needed.
So, information for those who are tool deficient, age restricted or can’t be stuffed by DIY anymore ( me, guilty on all 3 counts).

rcsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
This discussion (?) has prompted me to get the bushes replaced on my Cross6.
A local suspension guru, supply, fit, wheel align, 2 mechanics, 40 minutes, and not one chip to my beautifully manicured nails, $300. Although my bushes were not as stuffed as shown in https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-commodore-struts.265413/ they were in need of replacement, and have increased the ride height by about 20mm.
I asked for a wheel alignment, and was told it was not necessary, but I insisted it be done for Justin Case. Found all to be within tolerance, and no adjustments needed.
So, information for those who are tool deficient, age restricted or can’t be stuffed by DIY anymore ( me, guilty on all 3 counts).
They are right a wheel alignment is only needed as a precaution because when removing and replacing standard struts you don't touch any other wheel alignment adjustments. I do understand people don't have the time, tools or feel comfortable doing this job but it is one of the easiest jobs to do on your car. Strut tops with bearings about $50 a pair, Spring compressors from friend free or from auto store $80, time maybe 1-3hrs if you want to take your time. Did they mention how your struts were or if bump stops were gone because if you have it all apart its best to do them all so your not back at the shop in 6 months handing over more cash.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Did they mention how your struts were or if bump stops were gone because if you have it all apart its best to do them all so your not back at the shop in 6 months handing over more cash.

I have a pretty ‘seat of the pants’ feel for how my cars are going ( genetic ability for my generation, connectivity-techo ability is non-existant ) and I ‘just know’ when things are ‘not right’.
Asked them to have a good look around, but as I have replaced link pins and other bushes before, all OK as I expected.
I stood and watched as they did it, and agree, with the right tools and knowledge, job is easy as.