Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 2006 VE a good first car?

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
I'd want to get a 4 or 5" muffler..

I now know what you are after.
Looks Fast, Isnt Fast. Massive Mufflers, Mags

Perfect for you...

RiceCivic.jpg

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
When it comes to cars you really have no idea and this is only because you are young and have no experience, I suggest you go with something smaller and cheaper to run, and learn how to be a safe driver before you try and get to the speed limit as fast as possible otherwise you will end up becoming another number added to the road toll
You really need to do a sh#tload more research on the car you want to buy and the common problems they have, and don't focus on power figures etc
Power figures mean f@#k all when it comes to reliability and running costs

Or you could just buy a new pushbike....

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Everyone's told me that a 4 or 5" muffler won't suit it. But I reckon it will look alright. I'm no getting s muffler for performance but sound. I want to it be as loud as possible while still bwing legal so a 5" would be good for that right?

What other visual mods could I do? I've been looking at some recaro seats

Please stop.

A muffler will add some sound but minimal depending on the rest of the exhaust. Ring some exhaust shops AFTER you buy a car and stop talking to ya mates unless their mechanics.

2 Recaro seats are worth MORE then the car.................... there around $1000 each and possibly illegal.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I saw this for sale on Gumtree and thought you might be interested

Wanker.jpg

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
I did ring a shop. They said it won't add any sound just a droning noise. They said quoted me for a cat back system to go with a 4" muffler and said it'll add sound.

I'm planning on keeping it for a while. So I'm happy putting good seats in and I'll look for legal ones.

if you want recaros, you better buy a car without side airbags!!

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I can get a vy acclaim station wagon for $3000. So I'd be saving a fair bit and can use the rest to help with running costs and visual mods.

Everyone's told me that a 4 or 5" muffler won't suit it. But I reckon it will look alright. I'm no getting s muffler for performance but sound. I want to it be as loud as possible while still bwing legal so a 5" would be good for that right?

What other visual mods could I do? I've been looking at some recaro seats

don't do any visual mods , you'll only become cop bait , spend what money you have on servicing and running costs and a good set of tyres .

Last edited:

MY18VF2SV6TTAN1C

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Commodore SV6 3.6L
I have to say I agree with the general opinion on here. You are better off to get a smaller, cheap to run car like a Toyota or Nissan, then work your way up. It's taken me 10 years to get my first Holden.

Crumbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Buy a cheaper smaller car like others have said and then spend the money you saved on a years subscription to Street Machine or something, then get back to us and tell us how many cars you've seen with 5 inch exhausts, or just learn from reading them that it's a silly idea.

Or buy a v6 don't thrash it, learn to drive it and care and maintain it but don't modify it stupidly. Recaros even if fitted properly will just be theft bait on your car, even a decent set of rims will have you waking up one morning and finding it in a carpark sitting on bricks after its had the crap thrashed out of it.

Seriously get something cheap stock or close to stock and save your cash for a couple of years and get something great then when you've learnt more to blow all your hard earned on.