Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 LFX Maintenance Help needed (photos included)

jakescicluna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6 Auto 04/2013 3.6 Litre, LFX
Hello everyone, I have recently undertook the task of going through a major service by myself. The main issue was to fix exhaust noise, parking brake squeal, and replace sway bar links. Whilst my car has been up in the air, I also decided to have a look at the intake ect. I found the PCV valve to be pretty blocked, not horribly but not great. As well as oil in the spark wells, around the intake manifold gasket, and of course around the spark plugs. The intake valves didn't look to great either. I am going to try the PCV mod as well as a catch can. The mani-cat Gasket also was leaking a considerable amount. This is from a sv6 VE2 2013 LFX engine. I have also ordered 6 new coils and plugs as the coils were reading on the low-side and this car has never had them changed (@178,xxxkm) (besides the newer one). Also cylinder 3 looks to have a crack but not sure any suggestions and tips going further with this?

IMG_7394.jpeg
IMG_7474.jpeg
IMG_7475.jpeg
IMG_7529.jpeg

IMG_7541.JPEG
IMG_7540.jpeg
IMG_7524.jpeg
IMG_7481.jpeg

Cylinder 3

IMG_7552.jpeg
IMG_7551.jpeg

Any help is appreciated thanks all!
note the car is tuned and I never miss a service, oil done in intervals of 7.5k.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It looks like a casting imperfection rather than a crack.

Make sure you are careful sourcing plugs and coils. Plugs especially. The online market is flooded with high quality fakes. Misfires and plug failures after a short while will happen with knock offs of the big brands.

You have 5 genuine coils and one aftermarket there.

When modifying the PCV, do it to specific sizes. There’s a how to on it.

Clean the PCV hoses as well. Repair hard or cracked ends of the nylon pipes.

jakescicluna

Reaction score
Members Ride

Make sure you are careful sourcing plugs and coils. Plugs especially. The online market is flooded with high quality fakes. Misfires and plug failures after a short while will happen with knock offs of the big brands.

[/URL]

Thank you my friend, this has helped set the worries aside, as for the plugs and coils i’ll be getting them from holden :)

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

[/URL]

What do you clean the hoses with?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Degreaser. Then hose them out. Degreaser again. Hose out. Compressed air. Leave in the sun or get a heat gun over them or use your favourite hair drier.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank you my friend, this has helped set the worries aside, as for the plugs and coils i’ll be getting them from holden :)
Getting plugs and coils from Holden!? Are you crazy!? Get them from a good reputable shop. It will be fine. Just don’t buy online. Repco, SuperCrap. Those sorts of places. Find some iridium plugs. Get a known brand coil.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
LFX shouldnt need PCV mod? already upgraded it unless after a certain year

i bought new hoses for the hole vacuum sytem, scrapped those hard plastic **** and even clamped on each hose. i like might vacuum system severely sealed haha. got a catch can on it too now

even on the passenger side i changed the breather hose to a rubber and clamped it on

that exhaust manifold looks to have been leaking, was there a bad gasket there? probs where some of your noise coming from

jakescicluna

Reaction score
Members Ride
LFX shouldnt need PCV mod? already upgraded it unless after a certain year

i bought new hoses for the hole vacuum sytem, scrapped those hard plastic **** and even clamped on each hose. i like might vacuum system severely sealed haha. got a catch can on it too now

even on the passenger side i changed the breather hose to a rubber and clamped it on

that exhaust manifold looks to have been leaking, was there a bad gasket there? probs where some of your noise coming from
I have a VE S2, the problem was addressed for the VF variants I believe

jakescicluna

Reaction score
Members Ride
Getting plugs and coils from Holden!? Are you crazy!? Get them from a good reputable shop. It will be fine. Just don’t buy online. Repco, SuperCrap. Those sorts of places. Find some iridium plugs. Get a known brand coil.
Aha, not to worry I don’t pay full price, I can get a pretty heavy discount on most things.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Degreaser. Then hose them out. Degreaser again. Hose out. Compressed air. Leave in the sun or get a heat gun over them or use your favourite hair drier.
Fu,
I would like a heat gun but not to dear can you tell me some please.
Cheers Pete