Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Not cranking, weird relay noise under bonnet.

dimsimnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Z SERIES
I thought this was just a flat battery, so pulled that out and fully charged it with my 8 stage charger but my SV6 just won't start.

It has been sitting for a while unused so I assumed that was the problem. Now with the battery charged if I leave the car overnight, it will crank and start for a few seconds (roughly) the die with the check engine light flashing rapidly and the odd relay noise and a clicking noise coming from the top of the engine or intake/throttle body?

For reference its a 2012 VE2 SV6 SIDI - until now it has run flawlessly.

Any gurus out there that may have experienced this before? I hoping its not an ECU as I doubt we have any aftermarket guys here able to repair or code.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Put a new battery in and then the diag can move forward.

Dr_Mutley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
don’t forget to check the fusaeble links on the positive battery terminal
ED2A4A23-5E72-44D4-A35C-2153EDFCFD82.jpeg

dimsimnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Z SERIES
Put a new battery in and then the diag can move forward.

just for clarity, it's not the same starter solenoid click that you get when the battery is discharged... the engine will crank fine and start, but stop after running lumpy for maybe 5 seconds then not crank again or restart until being left overnight. with the ignition on, the power train? relay R13 clicks madly and there is some other clicking coming from the top of the engine near the throttle body.

ive swapped those relays around it makes no difference. if i pull r13 out the clicking stops.

Bonus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6
Change the battery - a full charge wont help it if its toast, it may show full voltage, but it may no longer have the amps to turn the engine over

dimsimnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Z SERIES
ok, battery changed. i borrowed a big heavy duty one (700cca) and no change.

Relay R13 (Pwr/Trn) clicking rapidly with ignition turned on
Clicking coming from top of engine (sounds like a valve opening and closing rapidly as its kind of metallic)

The red arrows show where the clicking noise is coming from, stops if I pull Relay 13 - have swapped the adjacent relays around and no change.

clicking relay (Small).jpg

clicking noise top (Small).jpg

Here's a small video of the noise https://www.dropbox.com/s/xdj0glfvnlblier/IMG_2576.MOV?dl=0

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Its not the throttle body locked in a 'self test' loop?

dimsimnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Z SERIES
Its not the throttle body locked in a 'self test' loop?

Possibly, although I'm not aware of that process to comment. It does sound like its coming from that area and if there isnt an electrically operated valve or solenoid where ive placed the red arrow on the photo then its likely its coming from the throttle body.

Is this a known issue? Would it stop it from cranking? Any idea how to test or remedy?