Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 top speed

SilverStreak

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
'05 VZ SV6 M6
In December '06 I took my VZ SV6 to the NT just to answer this question. (Didn't want it to suffer the fate of my old 5 litre VN SS, which never got the chance to prove itself at top speed.) Well, while it didn't power up to it as viciously as a V8, the SV6 did make it all the way to 240 on two different days. The needle was buried around 250 but the needle exaggerates- I was going off the digital speedo instead. The second day, it showed 242 for a moment but had no more to give- that was really top tilt- and to be honest, too f*ckin' scary to be enjoyable. I was shouting "come on, you fat bitch!" in the minute-long climb from 230 to 240, since at that speed the Stuart Highway goes from feeling wavy to bumpy, the steering wants constant tiny corrections, and just to keep it pointed straight is a full-time task...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kn10

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SV6
The Mad Max music was a nice touch.

Duckywindsor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ HSV Senator
The VZ HSV's will reach 273 with more to give in a fairly shortish time before they hit the limiter. So a "friend" tells me

SilverStreak

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
'05 VZ SV6 M6
Thanks, Kn10. It's also the reason I wasn't able to monetize this clip on YouTube, but a home-made soundtrack wouldn't have captured the feelings at all.

spac1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SV6
I have had my 06 sv6 up to 225 in high 5th changed to sixth, foot flat to floor and just dosent accelerate and stays around 4500revs

Phyco

Alloytec and Proud
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ Acclaim Sedan
I have had my 06 sv6 up to 225 in high 5th changed to sixth, foot flat to floor and just dosent accelerate and stays around 4500revs

Strange... When my 06 Acclaim was completely stock it got up to 220ish and still had a bit left in it, being 175kw I thought there would be more difference compared to the SV6?

SilverStreak

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
'05 VZ SV6 M6
True, you have to hold 5th all the way to 5650 rpm, pretty close to peak power, to actually hit the top speed. Pulling 6th just drops your torque into a hole. (The same thing happened, many moons ago, in my V8 Mustang GT: top speed in 4th, nothing more in 5th.) I like the way James May explains the principles at 1:51 here...

Last edited by a moderator:

jjbird85

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
i had a bit of a stab at top speed last i looked at the speedo it was 212 still had about 2km of road left and she was quite firm on the road i thought thats a 5 speed auto

Jackson Amey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 series 2
####s I'v done 249 in my sv6 series 2 and it had more. On the f3 between newly and Toronto