Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 top speed

Hamish Evans

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 vz paddle shift
Does anyone know what sort of speed a SV6 (auto or manual) is capable of reaching. I recall an early motoring magazine report indicating that they believed it would wind out to almost 240km/h. Is this accurate? The ECOTEC motor seems to struggle past 210km/h, so I was wondering whether the torque of the new motor is enough to do what the motoring writer predicted. Anyone have first-hand experience of an SV6 flat stick (of course this would have been tried in NT or on a racetrack! ;) )
On the quarter mile you get 89 miles an hour with a 16.4 that's what I got two days ago in the N.T drags and I have push mine off the clock which reads 245 and thats stockI think it's still had more with no limiter but mine is it SV6 have a 190 kilowatt paddle shift

Hamish Evans

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 vz paddle shift
Does anyone know what sort of speed a SV6 (auto or manual) is capable of reaching. I recall an early motoring magazine report indicating that they believed it would wind out to almost 240km/h. Is this accurate? The ECOTEC motor seems to struggle past 210km/h, so I was wondering whether the torque of the new motor is enough to do what the motoring writer predicted. Anyone have first-hand experience of an SV6 flat stick (of course this would have been tried in NT or on a racetrack! ;) )

Hamish Evans

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 vz paddle shift
On the quarter mile you get 89 miles an hour with a 16.4 that's what I got two days ago in the N.T drags and I have push mine off the clock which reads 245 and thats stockI think it's still had more with no limiter but mine is it SV6 have a 190 kilowatt paddle shift

Hamish Evans

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 vz paddle shift

Marco59

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs sv6
I have tested many cars on purpose built tracks and I can say for certain that a SV6, will not get any where near 230. The Gen 3 will as does the XR8.
They will do 225, but to all those wanting more speed, buy a faster car.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Reports I've heard are of a VK 6 cyl and VS 6 cyl getting to 200kms, both on country roads although the VK was apparently shaking a hell of a lot at that speed. Bearing in mind that the old carbureted VK and VS would have significantly less power that the SV6 (although both of these would be lighter cars) the SV6 should be able to do a bit more than that.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Got my vr up to 170km/h but she was loose as a goose wouldn't recommend it unless you modify the car to handle it.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Reports I've heard are of a VK 6 cyl and VS 6 cyl getting to 200kms, both on country roads although the VK was apparently shaking a hell of a lot at that speed. Bearing in mind that the old carbureted VK and VS would have significantly less power that the SV6 (although both of these would be lighter cars) the SV6 should be able to do a bit more than that.
With the old red/black /blue motors, it wasn't weight that restricted top speed, it was low rev limits. Reds died around 4800rpm unless extensively modified. The later motors with 12 port heads were still only good for high 5000's.