Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SWAPPING LY7 into a leo engine bay

Joeseph Stevens

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 3.6 leo alloytec
Hey ladies and gents, I have a ve 3.6l alloytec has 245xxx was looking at either swapping to a ly7 for extra power if much isn’t require or reasonable pricing or straight swapping another leo, main question is what complications is there with putting in a ly7?

Hokimax

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Ve
Hey broI got this done just the other i have a 05 vz crewman with a 175 Leo engine and swapped it outfor vz sv6 high output 190 Ly7 engine the only thing we had to do was the ly7 has four cam sensors and the leo has 2 so we just plug the two inlet ones in because that's all the wiring loom has and left the other two plugs on the engine unplugged. The ly7 runs perfect im not sure if it is running on full power because of the two cam sensors not working but it has way more power than the leo..The only other way would to do it would be to get a donor car and swap everything over eg: ecu bcm loom etc..
Cheers mate

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
To do it properly, you need to swap looms, motor, and computers (so it all matches) or nearly all the benefits of the LY7 won't work at all.
i.e. Variable air flow manifold inlet, correct operation of the inlet and exhaust via the cam solenoids.

You may as well be swapping in a V8 because it is almost the same amount of work.

Morgs05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ tonner
To do it properly, you need to swap looms, motor, and computers (so it all matches) or nearly all the benefits of the LY7 won't work at all.
i.e. Variable air flow manifold inlet, correct operation of the inlet and exhaust via the cam solenoids.

You may as well be swapping in a V8 because it is almost the same amount of work.
So is the whole wiring loom behind dash required to be upgraded or just engine loom,ECU unit pin?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s like going from V6 to V8 in as much as you need to change a whole lot more than just the engine. The engine looms are different. They plug into a different BCM. Then you find yourself changing the BCM and find the other looms don’t have the same features or pin outs. Then because the BCM is different you’ll need that VIN matched. Then the ECM is different with a different tune, so that is changed and needs VIN matching. And down the rabbit hole you go.

*By different BCM I mean a higher level. The LY7 was generally used on SV6 and Calais etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
This might sound like a dumb question, but if you got a cam and a tune wouldn't that 'fix' it?
My understanding was that the variable timing becomes moot after a cam kit. Not sure if it's that way for the 6's but know that's the case for the afm model 8's

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
There’s 4 cams.
Different intake plenum as well.

With the exhaust arrangement on the LY7 running it without being plugged in doesn’t automatically make it run like an LE0. The motor will be underperforming.

Also let’s put this into perspective.

The current LE0 motor is a bit average and then we put in an LY7 that looks the same externally but uses a more complex engine management system. It has a different intake (but you can fit the LE0 intake on top). It has variable exhaust timing as well as intake unlike the LE0. Now we cam it and spend a **** tonne on making the motor work better with a tune. I’d be refreshing the LE0 and dropping cams in for that effort and money.

It all just doesn’t make logical sense.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
My understanding was that the variable timing becomes moot after a cam kit. Not sure if it's that way for the 6's but know that's the case for the afm model 8's
No such thing as a dumb question (most of the time, not this time though), but no, that is not the case. AFM and VVT/cam phasing are two completely different things.

AFM = displacement on demand - i.e. shutting down cylinders when not in use. There is no AFM on the Alloytecs.
VVT = changing the valve timing by advancing or retarding the cam relative to the crank. There are a few different ways to do this, but there is no VVT on Aussie LS engines.

The cam phasers in the Alloytec are essential to the timing system as the timing chain attaches directly to them. They're actuated hydraulically by engine oil fed into the phaser, so if you were to delete them you'd need to replace them with a solid gear that has no oil cavities inside (otherwise I think the phaser would "slap" and destroy itself) - see the cam gear on an LE0 exhaust cam compared to it's intake. There's two "sides" to the phaser that the oil sits in between, one side attaches to the cam and the other to the chain. Then different amounts of oil are fed into or removed from the phaser to increase or decrease the distance between those two sides and move the cam back and forth. This video does a way better job at showing how it works:
There's also no reason to remove VVT in almost any case either unless there's a design flaw with the VVT system - a lot of early VVT systems wear out super quickly with higher lift and duration cams, the first gen SR20 VCT is known for this as it has a large mechanical component instead of being purely hydraulic. Other than that there are very few circumstances where it's not a benefit, even in drag racing and even with aftermaket cams.

Infact I do believe there are factory LS VVT cams (amazingly for an OHV engine), but none of them made an appearance in Australia. You can definitely buy aftermarket ones though. There is a good Motortrend article about them, with some pictures to give you an idea of how similar it would be to the V6, but with a single cam obvs: https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1808-advantages-of-vvt-cam-in-gen-iv-v-engine
167394750.jpg

There are also aftermarket cams you can get that still retain the AFM, but AFM has a few limitations for people looking for power, and the cam itself requires extra R&D and machining to make, so isn't super attractive for aftermarket manufacturers. Most people just remove AFM completely anyway for obvious reasons.

Does raise the question though, if you swapped the engine and did nothing else but unplug the exhaust VVT solenoids like in post #2, I wonder what position the phasers would sit in and if the unplugged sensor just let oil into and out of them arbitrarily or uncontrolled.

Last edited: