Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Syria - could it become the next 'cold war' front

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
So, since Russia started flying mission over Syria last week there have been at least 2 incursions of Russian aircraft over Turkey airspace as well as both Russian Aircraft as well as ground missile systems getting both radar and missile locks on Turkey's F16 aircraft patrolling the border.

Seems to me that Putin is doing some sabre rattling. The Russians certainly haven't just targeted IS with it's bombing campaign, unconfirmed reports of US backed rebels been hit as well as Syrian civilian targets.

unless he's still bitter on not overthrowing Turkey in 1877
map-1878-treaty-of-berlin-2.jpg

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
So, since Russia started flying mission over Syria last week there have been at least 2 incursions of Russian aircraft over Turkey airspace as well as both Russian Aircraft as well as ground missile systems getting both radar and missile locks on Turkey's F16 aircraft patrolling the border.

Seems to me that Putin is doing some sabre rattling. The Russians certainly haven't just targeted IS with it's bombing campaign, unconfirmed reports of US backed rebels been hit as well as Syrian civilian targets.

Russia is there to back Assad thus they will attack any other force. Thought that was pretty straight forward but US etc seem to be pretending they don't understand that.
Reports I heard were Turkish F16s scrambled to meet Mig29s which Russia and Syria have there. Might be interesting to have look at Mig29 Vs F16 info.
Use of Russian Cruise missiles def a demonstrator of capability.
'Our' team (US/UK/AU etc) in weak strategic position. Might as well make 'strategic withdrawal' (IE leave).

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well it's happened....

'Stab in the back' - Vladimir Putin's fury after Russian warplane shot down and rebels 'reportedly kill pilots' - World - NZ Herald News

Turkey has shot down a Russian fighter after it strayed into Turkish airspace. Turkey said aircraft had multiple warning....

Russian aircraft have violated Turkish sovereign airspace fairly regularly since they starting operating in Syria, I think it's about time Putin learns some boundaries, He's quick to bitch about this but is happy to boast about what he did in Crimea (Ukraine) and Georgia.

Turkey has called an emergency meeting of NATO, US F-15 fighters have already been stationed in Turkey to assist as required.

This could get interesting....... :D

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Meh which side do you believe, Putin says they were within 1km of the Turkish board but still in Syrian airspace.
Turkey get upset when you bomb their mates ISIS.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
If we're choosing sides, I pick Russia! Obama is nothing more than a spineless, balless, Islamic sympathising lame duck and Turkey are in love with ISIS!

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Seems that Turkey was quick on the trigger to support anti-Assad 'Turkmen' minority/militia who are Syrians of Turkish decent and who the Russians have been bombing.

Last edited:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
If the pilots were shot at while under parachute, that's pretty low. And would piss Putin off a lot more.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
The biggest concern with this situation is that Turkey is part of NATO.

This means that a country with serious little man syndrome could drag us into a war with Russia.

Putin has to retaliate, it's now a case of wait and see if that retaliation is in the form of military action.

Obviously evidence is still surfacing about the situation, but at the moment it looks like the Russian Jet was shot down over a 10second incursion into Turkey's airspace.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The thing is though, Russia has been warned on multiple occasions and has decided to ignore those warning. Had the shoe been on the other foot I have no doubt Russia would have shot down a plane invading their sovereign airspace long ago.

These days I believe very little of what Putin says, he's nothing more than a bully and a thug, the only difference is he has the full power of the Russian military to play with and he's not scared of throwing them at objectives that he desires even if those objectives are in foreign sovereign territory aka the Crimea.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
I guess Putin is having Turkey for dinner this Christmas.