Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

System for a VZ Ute

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
on the website it said the DDLs were $230, and i was only looking for coaxials cos i dont think the vz ute cabin has tweeters in it? im not sure, are components better speakers to go with for me? and im not sure on my budget haha but id say probs up to and around $300 for speakers, $800 to $1000 for sub/amp/box, the headunit is $600 and whatever else ill need like wiring ill just get. ill google them brands now cos im on my tafe lunch break haha

Component speakers are much much better, your ute does have tweeters in the corners of the dash. Where abouts are you located? There will be a shop near by which stocks the products I am quoting then you go listen and choose what you like :) Thats a fairly big budget for the sub/amp/box/wiring, so be sure not to skimp on the speakers, these are afterall, where 100hz to 25khz of your sound is coming from :p.

For sub, i'd recommend something small, though slimline subs often have a reduced output due to their design. Look at the Polk MM 10" range, these are not a shallow mount sub however are not very deep. Similarly for a ute i'd also recommend something like the Focal Bus 25 series, its a small subwoofer complete with amplifier, box. Its a self contained active unit. You could run one or even two of these, they easily fit under the seats or behind the seats. Then it just leaves a small 2 channel amp to run your splits. Or go with a shallow mount sub, find a box which fits or have one made, then get a 4 channel amp and use rear channels bridged for sub and front channels for the splits. The Focal active sub may be a good bet, they have fantastic output for their size and you don't have to worry about finding a box to find or anything. The Focal sub/amp/box active all in one setup retails for $549 so its well in your budget, with a enough left over for perhaps a small Jaycar 4x50wrms amp bridged for your splits, or whatever is one sale at JB Hi-Fi or wow.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
oh there is sweet ill get components then haha and im in orange which is about half hours drive west of bathurst

and ill have a look at the polk subs cos i was looking for a slimline or shallow sub, however my mate had a small sub/amp/box in his old ute which sounded crap, it just vibrated everything and didnt really put out a deep or loud note, i have a tendency to like the bass taking over sometimes haha also id say ill port my sub so its deeper/louder

and budget wise it was just a rough guess haha im not sure whats worth the money for the sorta sound im after haha

but still thanks for all your time helping me with this mate :)

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's alright mate, its better to do it first time round rather than buying some crap from supercheap then looking to upgrade 2 months later :p

Ported boxes often need to be a lot larger, you really won't have room for one in your ute.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Option audio speakers I wouldn't go near, amps I wouldn't either, though they are cheap power, not very reliable though, dodgy circuitry tends to #### out.

Polk subs are good, very good. I use two 10" in my VY (Sedan).

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
yeah i had a feeling they were a bit of a cheaper brand, so i think ill go the 12" polk sub cos it seems pretty good and still affordable,

also i found these for speakers: Morel MAXIMO 6 6.5" Car Component Speaker System 6.2 | eBay the ones you recommended, would they be good for just general quality sound?

also is it worth it buying them through ebay overseas or better to find a store that can order them in for me? if thats possible with these brands haha

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
That is very possible with these brands, any decent car audio shop will stocks brands such as these, its only JB Hi-Fi and wow that stock the 'common' kenwood, clarion etc. Are there any shops near you at all? Will probably work out cheaper from a shop.