Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T56 Manual Gearbox lubrication

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I just dumped the atf and filled with Penrite pro gear as has been said the box definitely is smoother with it and also takes a little bit of time to work it's way thru the box

Castlo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
i changed mine to castrol dex3 and she is smooth as, only done 50k km in 5 years but it came out black on the first flush and it took another 2 flushes to get it good :)

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
100,000klm on the pro gear in the box and their diff oil as well (changes inbetween of course) and still pleased with it, it does smooth it out, the box's are a bit agricultural (notchy) feeling anyway, highly recommend it, there is also a nolethane bush (whiteline ) I think that you can put it that will also help (had mine for50,00klm) still good

SanchezCBR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS Manual Sportswagon
100,000klm on the pro gear in the box and their diff oil as well (changes inbetween of course) and still pleased with it, it does smooth it out, the box's are a bit agricultural (notchy) feeling anyway, highly recommend it, there is also a nolethane bush (whiteline ) I think that you can put it that will also help (had mine for50,00klm) still good
More information about the bush please. :)

Also, for those that had installed the short shifter, can it be installed completely from the top?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
pedders put mine in, about $70 installed, it replaces the rubber mount that the shifter goes into on the gearbox
shortshifter from inside and underneath

SanchezCBR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS Manual Sportswagon
Just an update.

I replaced the ATF in the transmission on Sat with Penrite 70W-75, I flushed the transmission with some cheap nulon gear box oil first. The only pain in the corn hole was the dame reverse sensor. Getting that thing out was nuts. I also installed 75w-85 in the diff.

The ATF came out almost black and stank like hell. The diff oil was completely black. Considering both had only done 78,000km I was shocked. And to think Holden recommend you never touch the diff and transmission is just ridiculous.

The first thing I noticed after filling with Penrite was how quiet the transmission was and how the gear box chatter was almost no longer present. After driving it for around 50km the gear changes got smoother. I really am impressed with how much better it feels overall.

I think it should be all good for the next 100,000km.