Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Takes a lot of cranking to start VT v6. 1998

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
did you try turn to reds wait 30 seconds, turn off, then turn to reds again, wait 30 seconds, turn off, then start

No eye deer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
Yep, lout. Tried that. Fuel pump runs ok, by the sound of it. It does start quicker if he turns the engine off, and restarts soon after. I dont have a fuel presure gauge, so cant check that. I may try running a jump start battery to it. Although the battery sounds good, and is new. Maybe extra juice to the starter will show something up. I'll check the vacuum hoses with a spray can, later.
He's just done a Cairns to Renmark drive,(with no issues, except the slow start) so it should be fairly clean in there.
It does go pretty quick for a v6, just slow to start. Strange problem.
Mark

D

devilly

with the relays under the hood there is a start relay,i took out the low fan relay to test it,i put it in the start relay position,the relay was that shot my car wouldn't start.could try swapping them and see if its the relay on it's way out.check the wires to starter motor and battery terminals are all tight and have no play or movement.you could put in fuel injector cleaning in the fuel tank.for vacuum leaks check the back of the plenum 3 hoses there are always causing problems.does the car key fob unlock the car ?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
ok wont be fuel related if turning to reds did not mke it start quicker
try putting on a battery charger for a couple of hours then try to start and see if it starts quicker
as soon as it starts does it idle correctly

No eye deer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
OK- will do those things today. Got to tighten up ALL his tailshaft bolts today. Who'd have thought that Super Glue isnt a direct replacement for Loc-tite, and a torque wrench, eh!!

Mark
Thanks fellas!!

No eye deer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
I have found that the pipe going from the back/side (pass. side) of the plenum, to an EGR valve? then to the extractors appears blocked. It appears to be deliberately closed ,somehow. Where the steel pipe meets the plenum, the hole has been welded closed. I'm guessing theirs a reason for this.
Mark

amg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
EGR valve and IAC valve are open when engine is started, both feed the plenum chamber and are controlled by the ECU. Dunno whether the EGR valve plays any part in getting the engine turning, doubt it. I'd look at cleaning the IAC valve and its chamber with carbi cleaner as these ecotecs get very sooty inside the plenum chamber.

I still reckon it's fuel related but now that you've found the welded shut pipe and super glue it could almost be any bastardised hack by the previous owner(s) including a badly configured mem-cal.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Quite alot of aftermarket headers are setup like that, not going to cause your starting issue if the egr is closed off (simply i'd ignore that and not play around with it)