Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Temp Gauge went up ??

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
Hey Everyone

Well today i was coming home from work was a 37 degree day and once i turned the car off from a 15 - 20 min drive back from work, and went to start the car up again, after 10min i noticed the temp gauge went up to just unde 3 /4, any ideas why ???

It went back to normal after about 10 seconds of car idealing ???

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
check the heater valve, where all the tiny heater pipes meet up. Mine did all sorts of weird stuf when that crapped itself.

Commodore dashes can tell you many misleading things. Was the water actualy boiling?

or did the dash just read that way?

umm im not sure mate, how would i own known if it was bowling or not ??

xtr3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 3.6L
As far as I am aware, this would be normal operation.
When you stop the car, you stop all water circulating, and the thermo fans cycling the air in the engine bay.
So the engine rather than cooling down at first, will equalize.
So the really hot bits of the engine that are usually kept cold by water circulating, will spread their heat throughout the engine, all the way to the temp sensor.
When you started it again, the water flows... fans turn on... temp sensor is cooler again.

Dont worry too much, I even think if the engine gets tooo hot the fans kick in. keys in ignition or not.
if its returning to temp when you let it idle, id say its fine.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
As far as I am aware, this would be normal operation.
When you stop the car, you stop all water circulating, and the thermo fans cycling the air in the engine bay.
So the engine rather than cooling down at first, will equalize.
So the really hot bits of the engine that are usually kept cold by water circulating, will spread their heat throughout the engine, all the way to the temp sensor.
When you started it again, the water flows... fans turn on... temp sensor is cooler again.

Dont worry too much, I even think if the engine gets tooo hot the fans kick in. keys in ignition or not.
if its returning to temp when you let it idle, id say its fine.

spot on... youve technically stopped all you cooling mechanisms and left the car to heat up. All the hot air trapped inside the engie bay will spread to other components. Youll find heat transfer will happen faster than the cooling porces due to restrictive engine bay systems... its normal, dont stress

aZk.

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
ok thanks for you help fellas....

392RWkwSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
I'd recommend you take the car to holden and get a full engine diagnosis. My vy II exec did this a couple of times and i thought nothing of it but then it over-heated forreal and i was in a whole lot of trouble. Thermostat got changed didnt fix the problem the the heater valve got replaced and the problem returned a week later. i did a bit of hands on research with my car putting it through its paces and found that the radiator tank had cracked a seal and therefore had developed a very slow leak. believe it or not didnt pay for replacement so i dont know how much it would cost to replace that part but imo holden builds cars that are meant to operate at optimum temperature not above it. dont take it for granted go and get the car checked out. The radiator dude reckons that this problem is very common among vy's said he had another 4 cars coming in for the same job and they are just walkins fed up with holden crappy service centres!!!

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
I'd recommend you take the car to holden and get a full engine diagnosis. My vy II exec did this a couple of times and i thought nothing of it but then it over-heated forreal and i was in a whole lot of trouble. Thermostat got changed didnt fix the problem the the heater valve got replaced and the problem returned a week later. i did a bit of hands on research with my car putting it through its paces and found that the radiator tank had cracked a seal and therefore had developed a very slow leak. believe it or not didnt pay for replacement so i dont know how much it would cost to replace that part but imo holden builds cars that are meant to operate at optimum temperature not above it. dont take it for granted go and get the car checked out. The radiator dude reckons that this problem is very common among vy's said he had another 4 cars coming in for the same job and they are just walkins fed up with holden crappy service centres!!!

Already ahead of you mate, got it booked it for a full service etc on the 26th of feb....