Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Temporary removal of VE front seats

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Doesn’t the VF accessory installation manual PDF have a section on installing roof racks and within it talks of using sealant within some specific area of the roof channel?

There may be a similar issue with the VE and as the mentioned PDF above is available on some post within the VF forum, it’s worth a search and a read. May just solve the issue ;)

I was going to refer to the roof rack installation instructions too as it mentions the correct or recommended sealant.

IIRC, the issue with fitting the roof racks on some cars is that the factory sealant may obstruct the correct fitting of the roof racks (preventing the hooks from fully extending). The fix was to remove the cover strips and remove the sealant near the roof rack mount points. Then apply a smaller bead of sealant (so that doesn’t obstruct the roof rack mount hooks) then refit the cover strips.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
--UPDATE--
Hi all, I think I've found the roof leak (well, maybe, one of them?), and treated it today with the seam sealant. I've left until tmrw to test as it was getting late and Melb weather is not exactly the right conditions for this stuff to properly skin in 30 mins. I can say it was NOT where I thought it was (well, surprise surprise...) and will post some more pics. I 'hope' I've got it right and dealt with at least 1 leak.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
I was going to refer to the roof rack installation instructions too as it mentions the correct or recommended sealant.

IIRC, the issue with fitting the roof racks on some cars is that the factory sealant may obstruct the correct fitting of the roof racks (preventing the hooks from fully extending). The fix was to remove the cover strips and remove the sealant near the roof rack mount points. Then apply a smaller bead of sealant (so that doesn’t obstruct the roof rack mount hooks) then refit the cover strips.
Hi Thanks Sky/Chrisp, I had a look at that (with some interest) and although it doesn't seem to be the area I am concerned with I'll keep it in mind.

Last edited:

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
So here is the culprit (or at least one of them...). I thought I had the right area for a while but on further testing I drilled it down to the area in the pic.
Afterwards I coated it with some matching Karma blue (just looks like original seam now, and strip will cover it anyway). Although likely would have been OK to test earlier I left it overnight to make sure (Melb weather). So, onto the next one!
gutter_seam3.jpg