Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Temporary removal of VE front seats

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
This is a picture of the same spot on my VF wagon (excuse the water, it’s raining!), but I suspect that the VE and VF are much the same, especially in the wagons?

View attachment 251990
Thanks Chrisp. So that window sealing strip (soz, I can't quite work out because of the water/reflection) is going underneath both the gutter strip end and the window moulding? Jeez, I thought my moulding was below par, but looking at yours, its fudging ridiculous!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That strip on the side of the windscreen is decorative/aero. It doesn’t do any sealing. Just pulls off and they are easy to get new still. Not expensive.

The strip on the top is also decorative. It’s clipped on. Dresses up the seam where the sides are welded to the roof. Underneath is seam sealer.

The trim on the top edge is also decorative/aerodynamic.

The whole windscreen is glued on with the adhesive sealant.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
That strip on the side of the windscreen is decorative/aero. It doesn’t do any sealing. Just pulls off and they are easy to get new still. Not expensive.

The strip on the top is also decorative. It’s clipped on. Dresses up the seam where the sides are welded to the roof. Underneath is seam sealer.

The trim on the top edge is also decorative/aerodynamic.

The whole windscreen is glued on with the adhesive sealant.
Thanks, ok.

So, can you suggest what might be happening here? When I do a water test I'm making sure the water is ONLY running down the channel towards the windscreen. (a constant trickle with the hose, no water outside the channel). The water definitely runs out of the drivers A-pillar as described.

Is it possible that the water entering that gap, is then backing up? I would have thought if it was a windscreen leak, i'd see some evidence lower down rather than via the A-pillar? More testing required...

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is it definitely coming down the a-pillar? As in, you can see it doing it? Or is it appearing lower down and you think it’s coming from the a-pillar?

Edit: you posted before I answered. Soz.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Remove that side trim. Remove the roof trim. You use a nylon spudger/trim tool and gently pry it off. Start at one end and work back. Inspect the area underneath it.

I think I posted some stuff on it when I did mine. Might not have thought.

Looking at the photo, that’s drivers side? Just to be sure.

If it’s coming from the bottom of the a-pillar, it can really only be from the windscreen itself.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Is it definitely coming down the a-pillar? As in, you can see it doing it? Or is it appearing lower down and you think it’s coming from the a-pillar?

Edit: you posted before I answered. Soz.
No all good. I always ask that question of myself - "where is it really coming from?" In this case I still have no idea.

I thought it was lower down initially and removed the drivers vent cover. OK, now coming out of the bottom of the A-pillar cover.
Removed the A-pillar cover. Now coming out where the A-pillar cover meets the start of the headlining.
I'm thinking, "how the hell does it get there"? I was pretty confident it wasn't some weird leak in the roof of the car (rusted out channel), but checked anyway... Gutter strip off (needed a clean anyway). Nah, all solid.

Therefore, you're quite right to question me exactly where its coming from. Because, in reality, I don't know! I really don't want to rip into the headlining!

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
OK, I've just posted after your further reply! Yes, drivers side. OK, might need to look underneath the headlining - damn.
It has to be fixed, so clench your teeth and deal with it eh?
Cheers,

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep. Head lining out. Not too bad in a VE. Front seats rolled back. Lower the seat backs right down. A, B, and C pillar trims off. Jesus handles off. Bag each section with the screws and trim caps. Write where they are from.

You can drive the car with the roof lining out.

B-pillar trim will need to be fitted again though if you have height adjustable seat belts.

With the room seam, under the trim, was there any cracks in the seam sealer?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You are only going to find the source of it with a fair bit of the interior out. There really is no other way.
It might also involve removing the wiper shroud panels too.

As long as it’s related to the a-pillar, that’s good. If it’s assumed it’s the a-pillar and it’s around the drivers door well, that might not be so good. There are several places water can come in.

The pedal plate is number one. Also around the brake booster bolted to the pedal plate. That plate is hidden behind sound deadener in the engine bay and carpet inside.

The only three places on drivers side are the windscreen if it has its seal compromised, pedal plate or roof seam.

Thinking about it, it could also be around the door seal too. Make sure it’s all fitted well. That the pinch weld is snug and not loose. I rub silicone paste into mine to keep them supple and full. Like my lips. A service procedure in North America and Europe for many makes. Well. It is on cars. In Milan it is a service procedure on people too.

Reactions: mtd