Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Temporary removal of VE front seats

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
I rub silicone paste into mine to keep them supple and full. Like my lips. :) :D:eek:

Cheers,

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Done a bit more investigation. Guess what, its raining so cannot confirm leak below just yet, and getting too dark.
Fu got me thinking when he asked about cracks in the weather strip channel seam etc. Took off the weather strip again to have another look. No big 'traditional' cracks, but right where I suspect the leak is coming in the paint has flaked away (arrow with 'culprit') and there does seem to be a gap (that's a small rock wedged under the channel plate).
It might be a bit of confirmation bias on my part, but as this tends to only drip inside on a heavy rain event - and the 'culprit' area is at the lowest point (the channel slopes up slightly towards the windscreen, can be seen in pic) then this is starting to make sense. It would pool there and be continually replenished. The bottom line is, is water getting through??????

That said, I could be on enrirely the wrong track - time will tell.

Other small pic is a close-up. What do you reckon?
Think my arrow descriptions might be a bit wrong in hindsight, is that white stuff primer or sealant?
I'm in the middle of pulling out trim and will continue tomorrow.
If i find this is, in fact, a leak. What should I seal it with. Some type of Sika sealant?

gutter_seam1.jpg

gutter_seam2.jpg

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Done a bit more investigation. Guess what, its raining so cannot confirm leak below just yet, and getting too dark.
Fu got me thinking when he asked about cracks in the weather strip channel seam etc. Took off the weather strip again to have another look. No big 'traditional' cracks, but right where I suspect the leak is coming in the paint has flaked away (arrow with 'culprit') and there does seem to be a gap (that's a small rock wedged under the channel plate).
It might be a bit of confirmation bias on my part, but as this tends to only drip inside on a heavy rain event - and the 'culprit' area is at the lowest point (the channel slopes up slightly towards the windscreen, can be seen in pic) then this is starting to make sense. It would pool there and be continually replenished. The bottom line is, is water getting through??????

Think my arrow descriptions might be a bit wrong in hindsight, is that white stuff primer or sealant?
If i find this is, in fact, a leak. What should I seal it with. Some type of Sika sealant?

View attachment 252020
View attachment 252021

I can’t really help with any practical answers to your questions, but, from experience, water can capillary through small holes surprisingly well! It’s almost like very small holes are just as bad a big holes. I suspect it’s something to do with surface tension and the hole size?

Anyway, it seems that you are on to something that should be attended to regardless of whether it is the source of the leak or not. So give it a good clean out and reseal that area. Holden used some sort of sealant along those joins so maybe reseal it with a similar sealant? It is fortunate that it’s an area that is covered by the the channel strips.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Yeah ta chrisp. I don't think anyone can help until its properly water tested tmrw. Agree it still has to be treated even if not the leak source.
I'm hoping it IS the source so I can move onto the next leak! Cheers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

View attachment 252020
View attachment 252021
Faark yeah.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
I haven't heard of the "Faark yeah" sealant Fu. Where do i get this from? ;)

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Actually. Mask up the area first. Go to a bit of effort to stop a fk up. Mask the areas that will be visible with the trim on.

Might pay to get it down the length of the channel even. You’ll have plenty. If doing that, grab a cheap small brush from Bunnings. The sealant will be in the paint area and the brushes are usually right next to the sealants.

Slap it in, lightly brush it over.

Masking tape is usually near the sealants too. I love using yellow frog tape. Works well.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh. If you get some sealant where it should not be. Coat your digit in soapy water and wipe off. Have paper towel on hand. Have soapy water on hand.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Doesn’t the VF accessory installation manual PDF have a section on installing roof racks and within it talks of using sealant within some specific area of the roof channel?

There may be a similar issue with the VE and as the mentioned PDF above is available on some post within the VF forum, it’s worth a search and a read. May just solve the issue ;)