Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

That annoying, aggrivating vibration

VF14SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 1 SSV wagon
Gday all. Long time lurker first time poster. Have found these forums beneficial in the past for problems with my VF but this one I can't put my finger on, thinking maybe torque converter?

Stock 2014 SSV wagon, 2nd owner (I've had it since 45000kms) always serviced at Holden dealerships on time. No mods no tunes no thrashing occasional towing. 215xxx kms.

A few months ago I'd started to notice a tiny vibration. At first was very intermittent but over the last month has got noticeably worse and I'm able to pin point. Only happens at minimal to mid throttle between 1000 and 1250 RPM. As soon as you power up it goes away. Likewise, when coasting to a giveway or roundabout under no throttle (cold only not when warmed) will shudder as if it's a manual car about to stall between 800 and 1000RPM.

Tyres new and rebalanced/aligned.
Brakes good
Happens in every gear, whether in auto, sport or manual mode (hence eliminates AFM)
If it was an unbalanced tailshaft it would (should?) get worse at higher RPMS?
If a gearbox or bearing issue it would be all RPMS?
Smooth when parked so definetely running gear issue.

Originally I thought was something internal due to a noise at idle so took the plunge and had the top end stripped. Discovered one lifter had failed so replaced cam and 16 x lifters.

Anyone had genuine torque converter replaced or is there a recommened aftermarket ? How much $$ to expect?

Cheers

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Hoping you would get change out of $2k. About a 4 hour job when I did it at home. Genuine converter at a good guess would be around $1100 from Holden.

VF14SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 1 SSV wagon
Do these symptoms seem to align with torque converter beginning to fail?

VF14SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 1 SSV wagon
Have you checked the isolator on the center bearing on the tailshaft?
No I haven't, thankyou for the suggestion. Sounds quicker and easier to check than a TC

VF14SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 1 SSV wagon
Have you checked the isolator on the center bearing on the tailshaft?
Center bearing, rubber and both driveline coupling rubbers are in good condition after inspection.

Angry8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Maloo UTE Walkinshaw 557
My VE had a vibration it ended up being a flat spot from a pothole on a rim .
Might not be that simple for you but you never know .

VF14SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 1 SSV wagon
My VE had a vibration it ended up being a flat spot from a pothole on a rim .
Might not be that simple for you but you never know .
Was that a constant vibration thru the whole rev range and speeds tho? Feel like a rim problem would get worse as speeds inceeased? Tiniest amount of throttle and it disappears for me.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Was that a constant vibration thru the whole rev range and speeds tho? Feel like a rim problem would get worse as speeds inceeased? Tiniest amount of throttle and it disappears for me.
We had some weird balance problem with our VS which was never solved until we got a new set of tyres … the vibration was worse at about 70km/h & was better both over & under. It also went away totally when I pulled over, and wouldn’t come back again for another couple of months, which was kinda strange.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Have you got access to hp tuners?

Can also jack up and stabilise the rear end, remove rear tyres and test.