Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The 1968 Chevy Impala

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Good stuff. Just a heads up, as the car is unregistered you won't need to do any vicroads paperwork until you register it. Just make sure you keep a copy of that receipt when that time comes.

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder Ute, MKII LV XR5 TURBO
Good stuff. Just a heads up, as the car is unregistered you won't need to do any vicroads paperwork until you register it. Just make sure you keep a copy of that receipt when that time comes.
good info, will do

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yesterday was the first day i started welding at my job, i knew i would get around to it eventually. he said i was a natural at it, which i doubt and think he is just a nice dude, it seems i may need to get a mask as i am moving to the position that where i will be welding very frequently. and since i am learning how to weld and will get better, it would be a great opportunity to get more things for the Impala should it have rust.......... still hoping it does not have rust. but by the time i get that thing home. i should have a bit more skill in welding to help out

what are the best masks to get? battery or solar?
and where?

Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I bought a solar one.....Saves a few bucks buying batteries all the time and when not in use, it's as simple as putting it in sunlight so it charges up and not much chance of the batteries going flat at the worst possible time....ie when welding...Welders flash is a bastard and can frigging hurt....

Can't remember where I bought mine because it was a fair few years back....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Oh yeah. Like when it is set to 'grind' and you strike an arc. F@*& !!!

In my younger days, stupid me decided to weld something with an arc welder, minus helmet....3 days later I could finally see properly.....And **** it hurt.....I reckon getting booted in the tackle is better, because that subsides after an hour or so....

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I'm pretty sure you can get both? at least the one that i was using had both on there, yep.... welders flash got me a little and i would like for that to never happen again.. that was months ago though.
Don't be this guy.....

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't be this guy.....

oh no, yeah, no thankfully i wasn't yesterday. but the guy teaching me did not warn me so sometimes even he pulls the trigger without the helmet on and i get caught. which gets pretty painful. but now that i know this. I'll be prepared for it on Monday

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
pretty good day on Saturday. Although a little difficult and time consuming as this mammoth of a car took 3 jacks to get to a certain height in order to get to the left rear wheel. she was sky high/ the most air she will possibly ever get maybe, it was really close to the wall and only a stick figure could get in between. so i had to go under and that took a while to do that. so me and Grandpa pumped up the rear tires which are still in decent nick, no holes or problems there. also put the car in neutral which surprised us as we expected more of a fight. but it just clicked in no hassle at all which was nice.

i sat on the seat and found the steering wheel to be really big. as it was difficult to get my legs past haha

A fair bit of dirt underneath had to be shoveled out as we had to get the big jack in there.
and charge up the battery to help the compressor.
IMG_20221217_125310_7.jpg

IMG_20221217_124715_4.jpg
IMG_20221217_125105_2.jpg
IMG_20221217_155032_6.jpg
IMG_20221217_160051_4.jpg

Last edited: