Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Commodore Kitchen

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Is that the healthy version of Steak, Eggs and Chips?
Haha guess it might well be!!
I love broccolini though, finished off in some butter and maggi seasoning.
Steak had browned butter over it with tarragon and pepper.
Now I want another one…..

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Haha guess it might well be!!
I love broccolini though, finished off in some butter and maggi seasoning.
Steak had browned butter over it with tarragon and pepper.
Now I want another one…..
Yeah, my mouth was watering.... :oops:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

This guy has got me interested in cooking ****. Well. Not actually cooking **** cause that’d be a bit fucked.

He has my interest. To be be fair all of you have me interested. In. Cooking.

I said “cooking” @hademall

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Whipping up some Paella for tea.

I97HOc5.png

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just made a batch of dough for pizzas tomorrow night. Going to be a bit experimental as I need to make the bases from sour dough. Last time I did this they took ages to rise. This time I started the dough sponge early and have twice added some honey.

Sour dough is a pain because it doesn't use normal bakers yeast. Instead it relies on wild yeast, which only really feeds on simple sugar like honey, fructose or glucose. Whereas bakers yeast contains sucrase, which means it can just feed on normal sugar, some of which is naturally found in wheat flour.

I have now just finished mixing the dough to pretty well developed. Now it just needs to bio-chemically finish the development over night. This slow drawn out process helps people with IBS as gluten gas is what causes them to have issues with wheat apparently.

From what I understand letting it sit for something like 20hrs helps the gas the gluten produces to gas off. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I prefer to just do a sponge and dough, which only takes about 2-3hrs from mixing to fully proofed, which I suspect would work just the same.

In bakeries a dough is mixed and in the oven after about an hour, which is what I suspect the issue is.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Just made a batch of dough for pizzas tomorrow night. Going to be a bit experimental as I need to make the bases from sour dough. Last time I did this they took ages to rise. This time I started the dough sponge early and have twice added some honey.

Sour dough is a pain because it doesn't use normal bakers yeast. Instead it relies on wild yeast, which only really feeds on simple sugar like honey, fructose or glucose. Whereas bakers yeast contains sucrase, which means it can just feed on normal sugar, some of which is naturally found in wheat flour.

I have now just finished mixing the dough to pretty well developed. Now it just needs to bio-chemically finish the development over night. This slow drawn out process helps people with IBS as gluten gas is what causes them to have issues with wheat apparently.

From what I understand letting it sit for something like 20hrs helps the gas the gluten produces to gas off. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I prefer to just do a sponge and dough, which only takes about 2-3hrs from mixing to fully proofed, which I suspect would work just the same. In bakeries a dough is mixed and in the oven after about an hour, which is what I suspect the issue is.
Did you enjoy making it, or does it still feel like a chore to do even after all the years?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Did you enjoy making it, or does it still feel like a chore to do even after all the years?
I don't mind having a dabble every now and then. I used to make bread and donuts at home to show off. My home baked yeast goods are pretty good and everyone loves them. I'd do it more often but most of the time I can't be bothered. Tomorrow night is a 21st celebration for the younger step daughter and she requested pizzas but she has signs of IBS, hence the sour dough. Her sister has diagnosed IBS.

I've had thoughts of when I leave my job, of having a Friday night pizza where I'd sell some and have tables and chairs outside. Just a thought at this stage and may never develop, but the idea is there. I'd need to check out council regs, and not sure if an outside oven would be an issue. A few people I know sell baked goods they make at home so it can be done.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pizza doughs are now moulded and resting before I roll them out.

20240420_112507.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pizzas were a hit as usual. One learning is I think I need to experiment with the sour dough bases. Relying on wild yeast just doesn't cut it IMHO. I think next time I am going to do the bulk ferment like I did with this lot but I'm also going to add a bit of bakers yeast, just to help with aeration. Ideally I'd like to find out how the big bakeries are making their sour dough, because I highly doubt they take 28hrs from mixing the dough to baking their bread. 70 years ago they probably did but not in 2024 I don't reckon.