Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The complete Vn-Vr Manual Conversion Guide.

commoVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT
oh great... now you have me thinking about a manual conversion for my car... thanks for that lol

KingDiamond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
lol.. another question... From my VR T5 Ecotec donor car how much is an Ecotec auto computer that says "Modified for Manual Trans" across the barcode worth... Does anyone have a modified VR computer they would like to swap?

hdtkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commy
Any one that lives in sydney that has failed to get their VS manual conversion running right take it down to bankstown airport. see Mark heysmand from injection perfection. he fixed my car up for me and it now goes like a rocket!

Mark is switched on, honest and a all around top bloke! he has won many awards at the summernats for tuning cars so i couldnt have gone to see a better person!

KingDiamond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Ok, so I now have EVERY part to go ahead with this conversion... I am starting it this Friday, I am pumped to say the least!

Here is the cost of my conversion so far....

Complete car with T5: $400
Sold some parts off it so car actually cost: $200
Exedy standard clutch kit: $240
VR Flywheel: $150
VR T5 converted computer: $195
Hopefully I'll sell my 5hdd auto gearbox for atleast $250
Maybe $30 for the auto starter motor... So I gather it will cost $355 for my T5 conversion once I sell some of the auto crap :D The cost of my time doesn't come into it, most weekends I just lay around with a massive hangover..

KingDiamond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
5 speed is in and running, just need to see where I went wrong with the speedo, but I seem to have reverse lights and everything else...

Feels good to finally have all the parts in :D

Also, if anyone ever tells you to convert your auto to manual make your hand into a fist and punch them in the face. Never never never again.

uteman101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
Hey guys, ive looked on many topics, ive read every post in this thread and i cant seem to find the answer im looking for, im hoping you guys can help me out. I have a VR V6 that im converting to manual, i got a complete conversion kit with ECU and wiring harness. Firstly, i seem to have an extra plug on the harness itself, near the cam sensor on the old loom, its oval in shape with a single female pin in the middle with one wire coming out and going into the loom, i cant seem to find anywhere for it to plug in, any ideas? Secondly the wiring inside where the old auto shifter was, what do i do with this? Can i just cut it and tape it up? Or do i habe to bridge something? No one mentioms this in any how to's, and lastly, i purchashed a new spigot bush, im not sure how to go about installing it, its been soaking in oil for a good week, but im not sure if i have to remove the old one? If the auto had one? Or just insert this straight into the crank, i cant see there being one, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

Manual Calais

Manual VN Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
T5 VN Calais 3.8
just wondering, does this mean you only need a custion flywheel or crank adaptor for a s1, if you have a s2 you can use the same flywheel?

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
just wondering, does this mean you only need a custion flywheel or crank adaptor for a s1, if you have a s2 you can use the same flywheel?

If you have a s2, I believe you can use any S2 flywheel..

andrews0604

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 01" V6
sick guide man..
any idea were i would be able to find one for a vx commodore? or would you have any info? I've been searching the nets for months now. got all the parts just looking for a guide
cheers

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
Just bought my self a VSII 97 executive, will be picking it up saturday.

I want to convert it to manual but want to got for the T5 rather than the getrag.

Reading all the previous posts I understand I need a custom or billet flywheel? VN-VR 8 bolt flywheels don't work?

The other thing that concerns me is the ECU and VSS side of things.

I am aware that the auto loom can be modified slightly to work but what about the ECU interpreting the VSS signal as the T5 VSS is TTL signal I believe and the VS auto VSS is analogue sine wave? Correct?

I read some pages back something about a Cop ECU? btw my new VS is a BT1 if that helps?

Cheers.