Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The cover on the V8 motor

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Maybe a dumb question but is the cover on my V8 engine just for aesthetics? With summer coming won't it just keep heat in the motor? Can it be removed without issue?

Bob

GH05T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
removing it wil do squat.
your temp is regulated by the radiator.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
removing it wil do squat.
your temp is regulated by the radiator.

I meant more terms of heat soak for the motor. Maybe it is because I come from Fords where many people tried to get as much cool air flowing over the top to the motor as possible to reduce air temps. Maybe that in not relevant with the OTR type setup. Maybe the cover even stops heat from the motor from warming the air intake :) I have no idea.

GH05T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
nah your otr, or even the normal air box will feed cold air into the motor, the to pof the engine dosnt dissapate heat, it wont even get to the 90-100 deg that opens the thermostat to feed the engine its coolant.
the internal oil temp is far higher.
the plastic cover is just an aesthetic cover nothing more. there will never be enough airflow over the topof the engine to do anything. the radiator and thermostat will regulate it at the desired temps even on a 50deg day if running properly.
even cars with bonnet vents are simply to let air flow through the front of the vehicle (radiator) unless they have to mount coolers.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
There are threads about turtle shells and horsepower but in my measuring it does nothing for temps all about acoustics and appearance. There is sound deadening underneath which can be imporoved on, and there is an acoustic skull cap over the actual intake runners.
Personal preference really if you want more roar sound. I took everything off and bought split covers, only to find it too noisy with my induction mods (RCR Ram Air manifold, ported TB and Orssom). Sounded like an old woman getting the hog at certain RPM and an Owl at idle, so went the other way and re-installed everything with better sound insulation material plus put a sound deadening blanket over the entire engine bay.
That worked really well as a sleeper but looked the automotive equivalent of wearing a tin foil hat, and lack of engine feedback all exhaust sorta put me to sleep a bit as well.
I settled on skull cap and sound insulation under split corvette covers for a unique sound and look that I like.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Pir4te,

Man you should apply to the Fed's for an R&D research grant. Love your work!:yeah:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
with all the harsh parameters in the stock tune any heat kept in by a engine cover is the least of any issues