Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is the issue with the VF engine

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
What?!

I’d be more inclined to change a filter halfway through the oil change cycle than every two!

Filter change at 3500 and oil at 7000.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Saying that the VF is a good car and made reasonably well.

They weren’t perfect, but I’d argue what the Team (and I’m excluding parts of management, so the engineers and designers etc) achieved was pretty incredible, for the tiny budget they had, in the build volumes they did.

After nearly 15 years, still seems Hyundai and Kia can’t build cars that aren’t prone to spontaneously catching fire .

Great advice, mate. I’ll be changing the oil on my ly7 sometime this week. Would you recommend changing the filter every service or second service like some people suggest in other cars? My car was last serviced with fresh oil and filter 7xxx ago

Genuine filter can be had for $20ish
Don’t skimp on the filter

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I wouldn’t be taking all the trouble to put oil in, once it came out … and when you change the filter, the oil’s coming out! :)

After nearly 15 years, still seems Hyundai and Kia can’t build cars that aren’t prone to spontaneously catching fire .
While I don’t know what you’re referring to specifically, it’s more like 50 years!
[first car Cortina in 1968 apparently]

Craig01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 06 executive
Thanks for the feed back it makes sense to me might just need the better gasket. Yes it does have a hose on the breather the pic is to show what they are talking about. Yes the hole is to small so there is a slight design fault with that motor but will still be ok. Thanks again for the feedback. Cheers

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

While I don’t know what you’re referring to specifically…
Hyundai have been building efi cars for many many years so I assume the comment from NJD was related to those recalls over the last few years due to a potential for some Hyundais burning to the ground due to a sub standard fuel connector (or such)…

You’d think efi fuel connectors are a known quantity engineering wise so such manufacturing shitfuckery shouldn’t ever occur… but it does and it’s not limited to lower tier vehicle manufacturers (just ask some Ferrari owners about flammable glue holding wheel liners that sit rather close to very hot exhaust components :rolleyes:)…

At the end of the day there are plenty of foobars from all manufacturers but what’s important is how a seller/manufacturer handles such issues that separates the good from the bad…

Sad part for us is that GM/Holden is for all intents and purposes a dead horse, so getting some love from them can be harder now that when they were selling cars (and back then they weren’t the best in that regard).

Still love my commodore, well on occasions there is some love hate but that just ups the passion :p

Craig01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 06 executive
After investigating this motor you can enlarge the valve no worries so when I get a chance I'll enlarge it so it has a bit more breathing space which will help the design fault it's not rocket science and won't effect the design or motor in a negative way. As long as the service is done and not flogging the car it's ok for many ks. Cheers.