Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is the issue with the VF engine

Craig01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 06 executive
I understand that there is an issue with the motor in the VFs beside the timing chain as I know it's been upgrade to a larger one after the VE. So what's this problem with a small breather hole related to the oil. So I know you need to change oil before it's due. What I want to know can I make the breather hole any bigger? Change it or drill it out? Is there anything I can do to make the engine better or at least make it more durable/last longer. Does anyone know anything about the this motor? Pic of the breather.
IMG_5346.jpg

It would be good if a machenic was out there to give some advice. Another pic of the issue and cover that would need cleaning every time it's touched.
IMG_0017.jpg

Cheers.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Judging by the bottom picture, you’re talking about the V6?
It wasn’t enlarged compared to VE, still 3.0L or 3.6L, I think maybe they offered the 3.0 in fewer models in VF though.

As for the problem you’re talking about; it’s not common enough to have been discussed much (at all?) around here, and I’ve never heard of such a problem … so it can’t be super killdeathy for the engine. :)
Your post’s a little specific though & someone would need to know exactly what you’re talking about to make head or tail of it … what’s this breather hole, what does it attach to, where is it on the engine? Is it part of the PCV system?

Craig01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 06 executive
Judging by the bottom picture, you’re talking about the V6?
It wasn’t enlarged compared to VE, still 3.0L or 3.6L, I think maybe they offered the 3.0 in fewer models in VF though.

As for the problem you’re talking about; it’s not common enough to have been discussed much (at all?) around here, and I’ve never heard of such a problem … so it can’t be super killdeathy for the engine. :)
Your post’s a little specific though & someone would need to know exactly what you’re talking about to make head or tail of it … what’s this breather hole, what does it attach to, where is it on the engine? Is it part of the PCV system?
Yes it’s the V6 sorry and the pic is the cover with the breather hole so its just a small hole on top of the cover not connected to anything. I have noticed that it has not been spoken about as well I think it’s only an issue when it’s not serviced regularly. So what I wanted to know can this be drilled out to make is a bit larger? I’ll Check with a mechanic anyway to see if it’s possible as it will help over the life of the engine. Here a link to what I’m talking about:
this will explain the issue. Thanks for you feed back. Cheers

Craig01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 06 executive
Yes it’s the V6 sorry and the pic is the cover with the breather hole so its just a small hole on top of the cover not connected to anything. I have noticed that it has not been spoken about as well I think it’s only an issue when it’s not serviced regularly. So what I wanted to know can this be drilled out to make is a bit larger? I’ll Check with a mechanic anyway to see if it’s possible as it will help over the life of the engine. Here a link to what I’m talking about:
this will explain the issue. Thanks for you feed back. Cheers
Unfortunately Holden did the last run cheaply as they knew they were going out of business. Saying that the VF is a good car and made reasonably well. They did not put a lot of things in the cars as they should have like lane keeper and all the other tech that should have been in all models above the entry model a bit of a shame. Regarding the V6 because of the way it’s made it doesn’t breath very well so that creates build up of gunk that can lead to timing chain issues.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yes it’s the V6 sorry and the pic is the cover with the breather hole so its just a small hole on top of the cover not connected to anything….
The PCV system is supposed to be a sealed system so it’s illegal to vent any part of it directly to the atmosphere. So if your PCV valve doesn't have it‘s hose connected, someone has fiddled and made your car unroadworthy by removing it ;) This won’t make the car run better or last longer:rolleyes:

The PCV valve you show in your picture should be connected to the engine air intake (or to the engine air intake via a oil catch can as an update, if that is a worthy update… don’t know)…

@Fu Manchu made a post that went through the PCV valve mod below so probably worth reading that thread in its entirety (as it discusses the mods and likely has hose routing diagrams within)…

However, as Holden does running updates, I‘d have thought the VF would have had any updates to the PCV system incorporated so I don’t think it would need any PCV mod. I’d guess there shouldn’t be any issue in the later VF V6 cars but not sure if that’s made clear in FU’s thread above.

Me, I don’t have a V6 so don’t know. It may be that you’re just worrying about an old issue impacting earlier models for no real reason. It may be that the PCV and chain issues may have been resolved in these later cars.
Is there anything I can do to make the engine better or at least make it more durable/last longer.
Yes, change your oil more frequently than the factory service manual recommends.

Many stick to or even stretch the factory 15,000km normal service interval. But they may be driving in city stop start traffic during the heat of summer which Holden themselves define as severe driving conditions (just like towing is severe driving). If driving in severe conditions Holden specifies a server driving service schedule which I think includes a 7,500km oil change interval.

But I’d change oil more frequently than the factory schedule for your driving conditions. If you do normal driving, change oil at maybe every 10,000kms and if you drive in hot city stop start conditions, change oil maybe every 5,000kms. That should give a more headroom than Holden allows. That way the engine intervals will stay nice and clean and operate better…

Just remember, over servicing simply increases running costs while under servicing can drastically increase repair costs due to avoidable failures.

Don’t ignore hints from your car as squeals, vibrations and other bad noises are simply your car telling you something is wrong… ignore them at your peril…

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the best advice is to not drill holes into sh!t that has a certain tolerance by design.
if you are boosting the engine then maybe look into it but stock standard there should be no reason to modify the pcv system, some people add catch cans but in a petrol engine it is not really a massive issue.

if you want the engine to die quicker then by all means rip out the drill and go hard adding speed holes but i wouldnt to it ;)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It is. It wasn’t until VF 2 that the PCV sizing was changed.

I’m still very happy with its performance. Was on my Calais and other VZ sedan. Did the job it was supposed to do. No oily intake. No oil leaks. Well. On the VE there was one prior to the mod.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Another one, only go latest revision GM Genuine rocker gaskets.

I replaced the timing cover sealant on my VF2 SV6, and replaced the gaskets on the rockers. My engine was perfectly clean inside at 130k KM. Zero sludge, zero wear that I could detect on the running gear. I got it at 115K, serviced every 7500K with Genuine filter and Penrith GF-S 5W30.

Regarding the rocker cover gaskets, there has been a revision since the VF. The OEM one that came in the car from factory, on the PCV side as described in that video, has that void section at the back of the rocker sealed by the gasket, with 3 breather holes in it.

Latest revision now only has 1 hole, likely to help prevent excess vapour blocking the PCV. As of yet, none of the aftermarket versions that ive seen have the updated design. I sourced a Permaseal set, but it too was the outdated design

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
The PCV system is supposed to be a sealed system so it’s illegal to vent any part of it directly to the atmosphere. So if your PCV valve doesn't have it‘s hose connected, someone has fiddled and made your car unroadworthy by removing it ;) This won’t make the car run better or last longer:rolleyes:

The PCV valve you show in your picture should be connected to the engine air intake (or to the engine air intake via a oil catch can as an update, if that is a worthy update… don’t know)…

@Fu Manchu made a post that went through the PCV valve mod below so probably worth reading that thread in its entirety (as it discusses the mods and likely has hose routing diagrams within)…

[/URL]

However, as Holden does running updates, I‘d have thought the VF would have had any updates to the PCV system incorporated so I don’t think it would need any PCV mod. I’d guess there shouldn’t be any issue in the later VF V6 cars but not sure if that’s made clear in FU’s thread above.

Me, I don’t have a V6 so don’t know. It may be that you’re just worrying about an old issue impacting earlier models for no real reason. It may be that the PCV and chain issues may have been resolved in these later cars.

Yes, change your oil more frequently than the factory service manual recommends.

Many stick to or even stretch the factory 15,000km normal service interval. But they may be driving in city stop start traffic during the heat of summer which Holden themselves define as severe driving conditions (just like towing is severe driving). If driving in severe conditions Holden specifies a server driving service schedule which I think includes a 7,500km oil change interval.

But I’d change oil more frequently than the factory schedule for your driving conditions. If you do normal driving, change oil at maybe every 10,000kms and if you drive in hot city stop start conditions, change oil maybe every 5,000kms. That should give a more headroom than Holden allows. That way the engine intervals will stay nice and clean and operate better…

Just remember, over servicing simply increases running costs while under servicing can drastically increase repair costs due to avoidable failures.

Don’t ignore hints from your car as squeals, vibrations and other bad noises are simply your car telling you something is wrong… ignore them at your peril…
Great advice, mate. I’ll be changing the oil on my ly7 sometime this week. Would you recommend changing the filter every service or second service like some people suggest in other cars? My car was last serviced with fresh oil and filter 7xxx ago

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Great advice, mate. I’ll be changing the oil on my ly7 sometime this week. Would you recommend changing the filter every service or second service like some people suggest in other cars? My car was last serviced with fresh oil and filter 7xxx ago
What's the point of changing the filter every 2nd service?
They are a package deal. You stifle one if you don't change the other.