Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The creaking sound my car makes is driving me insane!!

P

Pauldw500

Posted about this before but anyways it's still present and honestly it's driving me insane!!

All started when I had the OPS out to replace and started the car to move it back on the drive and oil went EVERYWHERE!! I wiped up all I could and thought it would be a good idea to go burn the rest off. Was ok when moving, just looked like I was burning oil but when at lights people would be pointing at the bonnet and yeah, great fun... Not! Anyway it died down and stopped. All was fine for a week or so and then it started. A creaking noise coming from the engine bay. I cannot say if left or right, just the engine bay. I wanted to give coil overs a try, and did. First few drives were in the rain and the creaking is always less when wet, but it is present. I thought maybe a shock is stuffed so the swap out of all 4 shocks and springs will eliminate them being to blame. Have been driving with the new coilovers a week and today I'm back to turning heads when I go over speed bumps in supermarket car parks, it's really that bad! So I've learnt my original spring's and shocks were fine and if I want lower I maybe should've just cut a few inches off the springs hey, but anyways I got some very low mileage SSL and Sssl plus shocks so gonna swap them over tomorrow hopefully, but my question...

What can I do when in the wheel arch or under the damn thing tomorrow to swap out the shocks? What can I spray/lube? . In the past I've sprayed all the joints of the steering rack and around the rubbers that go anywhere near anything that moves with WD40 and I seem to think it did work, but honestly not for long at all.

Is maybe WD40 the problem I'm just wondering now...

I have some silicone spray that lubes the heck out of anything, shall I soak everything in that?

I have a love/hate relationship with my car and earlier I was again wondering if the high rego, fuel cost, all running costs basically (I tow 90% of my drive) are justifying the fact that the car is driving me insane!!

Sorry for long post.

Any help much appreciated.

Oh and worse when towing, but deffo there when not..

P

Pauldw500

If it started when the oil went everywhere as you say I'd start with a degrease & pressure wash, get into all the suspension rubbers as well.
OK I have tins of degreaser and a gernie...

Always worried about sticking a gernie into an engine bay for fear of blowing water where it shouldn't go, but the rubbers.... maybe try and stick to the rubbers...

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
OK I have tins of degreaser and a gernie...

Always worried about sticking a gernie into an engine bay for fear of blowing water where it shouldn't go, but the rubbers.... maybe try and stick to the rubbers...
I throw a rag over the coils & bag over the alternator & don't hit any electrical connectors directly, never had any issues doing it that way.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
(I tow 90% of my drive)
What weight are you towing, and how long for? You may have stretched your car. Sounds daft I know, but it does happen. This may cause a creaking panel. Just a thought.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Also, don’t have the gerni spray head close to anything within the engine bay as it should be at least 1/2m away from things… Too close and the water pressure will blow water past the connector seals and then you may have problems some time later when corrosion raises its head…

If you put your hand in front of the Gerri spray head and your fingers fall off, you’re too close so back off so you still have fingers :p

(seriously, don’t put your hand in front of the spray head)

Oh, and a bag over the Brake/clutch reservoir is also good practice since brake fluid and water is like gremlins and water… not a good mix…

P

Pauldw500

What weight are you towing, and how long for? You may have stretched your car. Sounds daft I know, but it does happen. This may cause a creaking panel. Just a thought.
6 x 4 trailer loaded with 100kg is the norm...

OK thanks for the warning about using too close but past that I'm afraid lol. I sprayed them big rubber mount efforts ( 2 per side) with degreaser and left for 5. Then I blaster with gurni. Prob as close as I could get which was virtually next to it. Didn't keep in one spot and kept moving but yeah thought I needed to get it all out!!

Anyway, drove earlier and early days but not one creak heard. Raining atm which would quiten it down but it would still be present. Drove 10 mins down the road and back and included prob 6 speed bumps in shopping centre and yeah didn't hear one squeak. If that's it I'll kick myself it was so easy but then isn't everything once you know how...

Did notice the squeak in my seat more now lol

Ill update once I've been out on a dry day, or better still after a tow, but tbh at time of posting this it was horrid and that was without even towing...

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
6 x 4 trailer loaded with 100kg is the norm...

OK thanks for the warning about using too close but past that I'm afraid lol. I sprayed them big rubber mount efforts ( 2 per side) with degreaser and left for 5. Then I blaster with gurni. Prob as close as I could get which was virtually next to it. Didn't keep in one spot and kept moving but yeah thought I needed to get it all out!!

Anyway, drove earlier and early days but not one creak heard. Raining atm which would quiten it down but it would still be present. Drove 10 mins down the road and back and included prob 6 speed bumps in shopping centre and yeah didn't hear one squeak. If that's it I'll kick myself it was so easy but then isn't everything once you know how...

Did notice the squeak in my seat more now lol

Ill update once I've been out on a dry day, or better still after a tow, but tbh at time of posting this it was horrid and that was without even towing...
Usually your first thought about the oil is the correct one, thinking back to when it started has given you an insight into the root cause.
Let us know how it progresses.