Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Ford BA XR6 was a better car than the ZB

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yup, but that is a little bit more than just a basic bolt on Barra. Then they took 2 fully built Barra's to Drag Week in the US and both grenaded before making a pass in anger. Bolt ons is one thing but when you start getting into big power than **** costs just as much as everything else. The Cresta is now a low 8 seconds machine.

Be interesting to see how that 1500hp Barra in the Van is going to go on the Skid Factory.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think it would be more interesting to drop in a Hellcat crate engine. Imagine a Centura with a Hellcat and a 727 or 904.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
  • Haha
Reactions: Lex

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Yup, but that is a little bit more than just a basic bolt on Barra. Then they took 2 fully built Barra's to Drag Week in the US and both grenaded before making a pass in anger. Bolt ons is one thing but when you start getting into big power than **** costs just as much as everything else. The Cresta is now a low 8 seconds machine.

Be interesting to see how that 1500hp Barra in the Van is going to go on the Skid Factory.

yeah it was modified well beyond basic but still well done and i think millsi's van will be an awesome machine once alan is done with it.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The old Bedford is a wolf in sheep's clothing for sure.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I doubt the Ecotec could put out 600hp all day long with no problems unless you threw the kitchen sink at it.

Like I said before, in the Falcodore stables the Barra actually goes up against the LS on a power (without it being a grenade) basis and a second hand LS will set you back about $3000 before you even put a spanner on it whereas the N/A Barra can be had for a few hundred bucks so you can spend about $2000-$2500 upgrading the motor before you even get up to the cost of a second hand LS engine.

Put some mods on the second hand LS engine and add a turbo and your easily up over $5000-$6000 to get the same power out of it as a hypothetically rebuilt Barra turbo. The mods cost is most likely the same or slightly cheaper for the Barra but the big difference is in the base cost of the engine.

When I bought my SSV I thought I would just go buy myself a clapped out old LS motor to rebuild myself so I can have something to tinker around with. Needless to say that plan got scrapped really fast when I saw how much people want for second hand LS motors. It would nearly be cheaper to buy an LS motor from the states and get it shipped over here as you can get LS engines for SFA in the states compared to here.
We're really way off topic, however I think your post actually proves to me why the Barra isn't a good choice to swap into something like a VE/VF.

The reason why the LS motors are expensive is because they are popular. So then you have to ask the question why are they popular?

In my experience something that's cheap up front is expensive down the back. Most often you're better off to pay up front and enjoy something that works well rather than saving a few bucks and having other expenses down the track.

Sure a Barra may well produce 600 ponies all day long. I don't know whether it does or doesn't do that and I not getting into the debate about how much work/money it takes to get that sort of horsepower. No matter the cost of the Barra you still have to do the engineering to fit it into the VE/VF and add all the electrickery stuff to make it run. One will get you a hundred that putting an expensive LS into a VE/VF is still way cheaper/easier in the long term than doing a Barra conversion. That's why the LS is popular.

Perhaps there's a business opportunity for someone to bulk import a bunch of LS engines from the states. From what you're saying there's some money to be made.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nothing easy or cheap about putting an LS into VE/VF that hasn't already got one installed. $20k and under buys you a basic VE SS with under 150k on the clock. Unless you could do all the work yourself, I can't see it even coming close to being under $20k for an LS swap into a modern V6. If that is what is being suggested?

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Nothing easy or cheap about putting an LS into VE/VF that hasn't already got one installed. $20k and under buys you a basic VE SS with under 150k on the clock. Unless you could do all the work yourself, I can't see it even coming close to being under $20k for an LS swap into a modern V6. If that is what is being suggested?
What was actually being talked about was the relative merits of putting a Barra vs an LS into what ever donor VE/VF you like. The Barra may be a cheaper engine but the costs of installing the Barra will wipe out any savings made on the actual engine price.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ok that makes sense. What doesn't make sense is why anyone would think it economically worthwhile to put any engine besides the same or similar one that the car originally came out with, especially if it was a VE or VF.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Ok that makes sense. What doesn't make sense is why anyone would think it economically worthwhile to put any engine besides the same or similar one that the car originally came out with, especially if it was a VE or VF.
Precisely!!!!!!!!