Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The King is dead. Long live the King! RIP Commodore :-(

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
?

today is better than every point before it.

Sure.....especially given the ridiculous prices one has to pay to simply have a roof over their head, the ever increasing instances of homelessness, the total lack of substantial manufacturing in this country, the unemployment rate, the bowing down to corporate arrogance, over population and so on and so on.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Ummm.....
Where did I say anything like that ?
Cultural cringe is the issue.
I don't know about that. I think that a large sedan/wagon or 2-seat ute just doesn't suit most people. The number of ZB's that haven't sold is I think at least partial argument for that; the number of Terrortories that did sell (despite being a POS) kinda proves people were happy to buy something made here if it met what they had been brainwashed into thinking they wanted.

People weren't "not buying Australian because it's Bad", they weren't buying large sedans & wagons. And it seems plenty of people were buying Falcodores simply because they were Australian.

Sure.....especially given the ridiculous prices one has to pay to simply have a roof over their head, the ever increasing instances of homelessness, the total lack of substantial manufacturing in this country, the unemployment rate, the bowing down to corporate arrogance, over population and so on and so on.
This is the stuff I thought you were talking about, when I responded about Capitalism; this is all part of the ideal of Capitalism.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
the number of Terrortories that did sell (despite being a POS) kinda proves people were happy to buy something made here if it met what they had been brainwashed into thinking they wanted.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
?

today is better than every point before it.

housing dept in australia is second highest in the world with many young families unable to ever afford a family home
the gap between the poor and rich is widening,
both parents now have to work where up until the 70s most mums would stay home and raise a family of 3 or more kids
dads wage only could afford a home and car
most jobs are not fulltime as was the past , now most part time or ongoing casual
we had manufacturing industries making shoes, clothing, victa mowers, sidchrome tools, vulcan heaters, stanley turner tools, pbr patterson brakes, heller lighting, caterpillar aust, just a short list of companies all gone thanks to free trade
mass immigration 2000 a week alone arrive in melbourne choking roads and public transport
this causes high density housing , moonscapes family house blocks to build apartments town houses and units which is ruining leafy suburbs
i am sorry but our current living standard does not compare with 40 years ago, its going backward
even our trains have had 1/4 of the seats removed to pack more in
our pollies on both sides signing up to the UNs paris agreement has given our manufacturing wealth to other countries
and now we are all paying the price
some pensioners cant even afford to run a air conditioners or heating and keep lighting to the minimum due to high energy prices
today is better than every point before, i disagree with that,
try having a family of four kids today on one wage in melbourne while buying a family home on only dads wage and running a car on a workers wage with the wife staying home looking after the kids,

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
i am sorry but our current living standard does not compare with 40 years ago, its going backward

But tech ! We've got all the tech !!

Sarcasm.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
both parents now have to work where up until the 70s most mums would stay home and raise a family of 3 or more kids
dads wage only could afford a home and car
How much of that is expectation, as opposed to reality, though?
As a child of the 70’s (born 1971), I don’t think we had fast food except when the grandparents brought some ‘til I was in my early teens, it was just too expensive for a family with 2 kids & Dad on a professional wage & Mum working part-time. We had a stereo because Dad had bought it while working through Uni and had one of his uncles import it cheap from Japan, we were affluent enough to get a colour TV in 1982 so sports-mad Dad & Sis could watch the Brisbane CommGames live in 1982. Mum’s car was one of Dad’s company-cars bought cheap (the days before FBT).

Surely you have to ask whether it’s really that much worse on Struggle Street now compared to upper-middle suburbia back then?

Brown Dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Nitrate Manual Redline
How much of that is expectation, as opposed to reality, though?
As a child of the 70’s (born 1971), I don’t think we had fast food except when the grandparents brought some ‘til I was in my early teens, it was just too expensive for a family with 2 kids & Dad on a professional wage & Mum working part-time. We had a stereo because Dad had bought it while working through Uni and had one of his uncles import it cheap from Japan, we were affluent enough to get a colour TV in 1982 so sports-mad Dad & Sis could watch the Brisbane CommGames live in 1982. Mum’s car was one of Dad’s company-cars bought cheap (the days before FBT).

Surely you have to ask whether it’s really that much worse on Struggle Street now compared to upper-middle suburbia back then?
ah you from a good vintage too. sounds very much like my upbringing.
I think expectations now are vastly different to what we had
Tennis ball, cricket bat, and backyard cricket. At least in the summer

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ But we were nowhere near ‘poor’, that’s my point; that was upper-middle suburbia then.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
^ But we were nowhere near ‘poor’, that’s my point; that was upper-middle suburbia then.

I think you were bloody millionaires.