Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Navy

k3v0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
You do get paid heaps when you get sent overseas... pluss you get tax free alcohol :D

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Nah I have navy backgrounds and know alot about it. Yeah its hard being deployed, but its not like you are constantly at sea for years in a row.. It IS good pay IMO and especially if you are doing an apprenticeship, you get paid alot more than a regular apprenticeship.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
Nah I have navy backgrounds and know alot about it. Yeah its hard being deployed, but its not like you are constantly at sea for years in a row.. It IS good pay IMO and especially if you are doing an apprenticeship, you get paid alot more than a regular apprenticeship.

true

4 yrs of crappy wages
30 yrs (havign a guess at average working life) i earn 2 times as much as a navy e.t. i didnt leave the navy for a reason. pay is crap. and honestly if your there for the duty free alcohol then good for you.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Have you ever considered the merchant navy?

My old man was a 1st officer for 35 years, and had his master class 1 but never chose to work as the captain due to the extra responsibility and not much extra pay.

Even though, he was well on the other side of $100k per annum. The pay rates for the engineers were the same as well, and slightly less for seaman.

He was at sea max 3-4 months per year, doing the coal and iron ore route to Japan. When i was younger he used to do 6-12 month swings, but the benefit is the time that you spend at sea is the time you get off, so you are only ever really working half the year.

I looked into becoming a marine engineer, but in the end didn't know if I could put up with being at sea with other blokes for months on end.

Kirbs

L plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS II
Have you ever considered the merchant navy?

My old man was a 1st officer for 35 years, and had his master class 1 but never chose to work as the captain due to the extra responsibility and not much extra pay.

Even though, he was well on the other side of $100k per annum. The pay rates for the engineers were the same as well, and slightly less for seaman.

He was at sea max 3-4 months per year, doing the coal and iron ore route to Japan. When i was younger he used to do 6-12 month swings, but the benefit is the time that you spend at sea is the time you get off, so you are only ever really working half the year.

I looked into becoming a marine engineer, but in the end didn't know if I could put up with being at sea with other blokes for months on end.

Could you send me a PM with some details please mate? Cheers

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
^^^

I was being sarcastic, kapooka is a walk in the park nowadays, needs to go back to old days of hardcore where you got beaten, slapped, kicked, spat on etc. That **** rebuilt heads. From meeting a few new lids when i was last at my old unit, I have to say kapooka/Singo training courses are a joke. Many old friends have left simply due to not being able to rely on new gen soldiers. Fairly scary thoughts right there.

Some time back on tv, story about Duntroon, recruits complaining, phoning home whinging about being woken, almost daily at 5.30am. Poor little bastards!

5.30am was when the school bell woke everyone up in FNQ - Charters Towers, when I was in grade 8 FFS!

D-Man

All over it...
Reaction score
Website
www.nextdigital.com
Members Ride
99 VT Calais II v6
i know it's OT...
but just looking at your sig Keepleft. does that $70 triangle come with a special fixall army knife or something?

$70 for a shiny peice of plastic is a bit much imo...